?? Bafflle or defusier between charcoal basket and meat??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coaldust

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Wolfe City, Texas
I am building a UDS and wondered if anyone uses anything between the charcoal basket and the meat,  especially when doing

briskets?

This is a great forum!!!

I did a search yesterday evening, looked at posts on UDS builds but did not see anything about using a baffle between the

charcoal basket and the meat. What are you using??

I was using a pan filled with sand . now I just have a big pizza pan on a shelf above the basket. It keep the temp even on both sides of the UDS.

I'm with Jrod. I added another grate to my UDS after a few smokes with just a top grate ~7 in. below the lid. The next one was another 7-8 under that and I just use a smaller pizza pan with lots of uniform holes in order to even out my grate temps. Lately I will also just put an empty foil pan to catch the drippings instead of letting them hit the coals (usually for longer smokes). If it is a "short" smoke like chicken or ribs or whatever I just use the pizza pan on top of the weber grate and call it good.

I know there are many ways to cook on the UDS but allowing the drippings to fall on the coals gives you the benefit of an "open pit" flavor which cannot be duplicated with an off-set or indirect heat. I use all three set-ups from time to time; water pan, heat deflector, and open pit.

I have all ways smoked open pit with mine and have thought about putting a pizza pan or something in it but, I feel that kind of takes away the purpose of UDSs.

I use  a Weber rack about 5 inches above basket,with a strip of foil across it that I poke holes in.Woks good and easy clean up.

I wish I would have kept the top that I cut out of it, and made one out of it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky