Baby Back Question/s

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
Hi all,

I am planning to make some baby backs this weekend. previous cooks I did 3-2-1, but seems like there are more popular methods of
  • 2-2-1
  • no wrap at all.
I read 221 yields more tender less dry BBs than 321... thoughts?

no wrap - that kinda goes against any rib i ever made...not sure...

please chime in with your BB methods. the cook will me on my Rec Tec Bull.

I should add - the 321 BBs were not bad, the last rack was not FOTB. Some earlier attempts were close to FOTB.

Hi all,

I am planning to make some baby backs this weekend. previous cooks I did 3-2-1, but seems like there are more popular methods of
  • 2-2-1
  • no wrap at all.
I read 221 yields more tender less dry BBs than 321... thoughts?

no wrap - that kinda goes against any rib i ever made...not sure...

please chime in with your BB methods. the cook will me on my Rec Tec Bull.
221 with no wrap what is the second 2 (2 hours on smoker, 2 hours wrap and 1 hour unwrapped and sauce is the equation, correct?)

sorry:
  • 2-2-1 (2 hour smoke- 2 hours wrap- 1 hours unwrap and sauce sauced
  • OR
  • no wrap for entire cook.

Great Ribs can be made all sorts of ways, sauce, no sauce, wrapped, not wrapped, clean bite, FOTB, different temps, etc... It comes down to personal preference. I'll offer that for us, the best pork flavor has left by the time FOTB occurs, ergo we subscribe to a clean bite through. Wrapping: stop doing that years ago, way to much fussing that interferes with other activities and we consistently get great results without it. If interested see recipe in sig below.

I used to love baby-backs, but since they're leaving so much lion meat on them now. I've basically stopped smoking them. If you go with the 221 method then adjust your time in the foil. You may need to add a little extra time depending on how thick they are. I go strictly spares unless I can find some good BBs which is almost never.

Chris

BB's always go 2-2-1. STL's got 3-2-1. This normally yields FOTB ribs so you might decease your foil time if you like a little bite to them. Or you could just let them ride and not foil at all. More of a personal preference. Either way check them out of the foil if you decide to go that route. 195 between the bones will get you tender but a little bite...200+ will get you FOTB

I used to love baby-backs, but since they're leaving so much lion meat on them now.

I get my BBs from my butcher and they are very good quality. I am funny about pork and its not that spendy at the butcher. sorry your supplies have been not so good.

What are these BBRs y'all speak of?
J/K
I've never been happy with the standard 321, never really been happy with wrapping ribs to be honest.
But a variation of the timed method has worked here and there for me in the past.
Try 311, 221 or whatever, find out what gives you the result you like best.

I just buy St. Louis and cook them no-wrap.
Rub'em, cook'em and eat'em, no fuss at all.

I don't wrap at all. I run at 275F and BB take about 3 hours, STL's about 3.5. Cook till they pass the bend test. Cooking to a specific IT never worked for me.

I may just need to try a no wrap BB cook and see what its like...never done one before so...a touch stressful. watched a couple youtube vids and dredged up old thread on here. seems fairly common with good outcomes. unless my sunday gets blow with some unforeseen responsibility ill post up pics. Saturday has already been blow with obligations :(

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky