Baby Back fail x 2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrbbqnewbie

Original poster
Jul 15, 2019
Hey there,
I have a Masterbuilt pro 30 inch electric smoker. I’m new to smoking but I’ve been grilling for years . So my first two attempts at smoking baby back’s in my opinion have been fails. I noticed that I had to cut the racks in half both times otherwise the meat would be touching the sides of the smoker. Both times , I removed the membranes and liberally rubbed on both sides of the ribs covered them in saran wrap and put them in the fridge overnight . The first time I tried was the 221 method , apple juice in liquid pan, smoked 2 hours, wrapped in foil with a little apple juice 2 hours, last hour with bbq sauce. Ribs were not tender at all (225). Yesterday, 3 racks (again cut in half for fit) using 321 method. This time the rub I used was three little pigs, apple cider in pan and a little in foil during the 2 hours. They tasted great but again by no means falling off the bone and were a bit tough. What am I doing wrong????

What are you using to monitor the temp in your smoker?

First thing that comes to mind is you are running lower than 225

Reactions: JC in GB
Just the probe that came with it. I made jerky with London Broil the other day and it was perfect

I use my iPad with the Bluetooth and with or without the probe it fluctuates between 220-230 depending on when the element comes on

How do I calibrate or get a accurate temp?

You'll want to get a separate thermometer/probe set up to see exactly what the actual temp is inside of the smoker.
Then adjust the smoker's controller setpoint until the separate thermometer reaches your desired temperature.
Most electric smokers are inaccurate.
Let's say you set it for 230 degrees but the actual temp is 210 degrees which is a very common occurance.

Reactions: mrbbqnewbie
I’ll try that thanks! Might call Masterbuilt, from what I’ve read if they send a new controller and sensors, might work too. I think I bought the wrong smoker

One; you really want a seperate thermal probe. Built in ones for smokers are unreliable at the best of times.

Two: Don't bother with water in the water pan of a MES, or any liquid. It retains alot of moisture and can slow down the cooking process etc.

Three: I'm not sure if you mean you got an IT of 225f or the smoker was at 225f. But you want to run ribs the smoker hotter then 225f until there is an even temperature inside. <Weather depending I've had to go up to 240f to get 225f inside the smoker>. It automatically stops heating when it registers 225f. That can mean all of a few inches inside are at 225f and the rest are at 215f.

I also suggest running the ribs naked, no messing about with foiling etc. Just sauced if desired during the last hour. <I used to do 3-2-1 and it was really just a hassle for no real benefit compared to running them naked in the smoker>

Edit: Replacing controllers don't change the aspect that the sensors them selves can only detect the part of the smoker they are in. Even stickburners etc all have hot and 'cold' spots. It's a manner of learning your smoker. Every one will always be a different beast.

The others are steering you in the right direction. Get a separate probe thermometer. The one is the MES is garbage. Amazon has some great deals right now on Thermo-pro and Inkbird units. I have both and both are great.

Are you running the MES with an extension cord? That too will throw temps off and you aren't smoking at what you think you are and what is showing up.

Your ribs are underdone. If you are looking for fall of the bone then you want to get them to 200+ between the bones. And you will want to foil. After the 2-2-1 check the temp between the bones if they aren't at the 200 range then keep rolling the smoke until you get there.

I’ll try that thanks! Might call Masterbuilt, from what I’ve read if they send a new controller and sensors, might work too. I think I bought the wrong smoker

Yeah, verify what the actual temp is inside of the smoker.
Do this a few times with the smoker empty.
Let the smoker cool down completely bewteen test runs.
This way if and when you call Masterbuilt, you'll have some ammo.

Edit:

What makes you think you bought the wrong smoker?

As said you need another thermometer to check the one that's built in. Get it then test it to make sure it's accurate, this can be done in by boiling some water and then carefully as in gloves or tongs and place just the last inch or two of the probe into the water and see what temp it shows.
Baby back ribs using the 2-2-1 method will be fall of the bone tender if the smoker is running 225 and you add some liquid in the foil stage. I usually use squeeze butter and some honey when going into foil but many things will work including apple juice. If you want to baste with bbq sauce do it the last 30-45 minutes this still gives time for the sauce to set but reduces the chance of the sauce burning as most sauces contain a lot of sugar and burn easy.
As for apple juice in the water pan that has been debated to death here but the general thoughts are that it does not help and water will work just as well with no difference in taste.
Gee I type slow I see others also posted while I was typing but some good advice given. I do disagree with the statement that foiling doesn't change anything it most certainly does it allows them to braise while foiled with liquid. Try lots of different ways and figure out what suits your tastes.

Last edited:

Buy one of these at your grocery store for $5-$6. Put in on a shelf in your smoker. Turn on your electric smoker set to 225F on the controller, no water in the pan, no smoke either, and let it run for 30 minutes or so to preheat. Check the temp on the grocery store gauge. Make a note of the temp. Crank the heat up to 250F for 30 minutes and record the temp. Then repeat at 275F.

Leaving the temp at 275F, add a quart of water to the water pan. Close the door and let it sit for 30 minutes. Check the gauge.

Yeah, verify what the actual temp is inside of the smoker.
Do this a few times with the smoker empty.
Let the smoker cool down completely bewteen test runs.
This way if and when you call Masterbuilt, you'll have some ammo.

Edit:

What makes you think you bought the wrong smoker?
Just some of the reviews with Bluetooth connection etc....I’ve not had any big issues with that though. What is your opinion of Traeger?

Buy one of these at your grocery store for $5-$6. Put in on a shelf in your smoker. Turn on your electric smoker set to 225F on the controller, no water in the pan, no smoke either, and let it run for 30 minutes or so to preheat. Check the temp on the grocery store gauge. Make a note of the temp. Crank the heat up to 250F for 30 minutes and record the temp. Then repeat at 275F.

Leaving the temp at 275F, add a quart of water to the water pan. Close the door and let it sit for 30 minutes. Check the gauge.
I tried a digital stick probe that I slid through the gasket in the back where the plug in prob goes....it was 5 degrees lower, so about 225....then suddenly went to 214 up and down a little...I’ll get one like you pictured

Just some of the reviews with Bluetooth connection etc....I’ve not had any big issues with that though. What is your opinion of Traeger?

Bluetooth is nice but it's range is limited and affected by walls etc etc.

As for Traeger, I hear both good and bad. You could do a search of the forums to get a better idea if you want to go with the pellet pooper route or not.

There's nothing wrong with your Smoker, other than the built in Temp sensor.
All you need is a Digital Wireless set of Therms, like the "Maverick ET-732".

Here's something to help, but you need that set of Therms, or something similar:
Baby Back Ribs

Bear

Great info but I will add that baby backs (and all ribs) I get here are cut very thick and way thicker than you'd get at a chain like TGI Fridays. Half a rack of KC ribs and I am stuffed. So they take much longer to cook.

I have long abandoned any time based method and go by IT. 200F for me but 205F for FOB. Smoke one day and chill. Sear a bit and sauce on a hot grill when ready to eat. Grilling is absolutely essential for ribs to me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky