• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My avatar comes from a website when Mad Men was popular. You could go on and customize a face and body, and put yourself in a room interacting with the Mad Men characters in cartoon style. My hair is a little grayer now, but this is still a good representation of me.
mneeley490 is my first initial and last name. The random numbers were added, and come from the old AOL days of internet surfing. I sure don't miss waiting 2 minutes for a pic to load.

Last edited:
My avatar comes from a website when Mad Men was popular. You could go on and customize a face and body, and put yourself in a room interacting with the Mad Men characters in cartoon style. My hair is a little grayer now, but this is still a good representation of me.
mneeley490 is my first initial and last name. The random numbers were added, and come from the old AOL days of internet surfing. I sure don't miss waiting 2 minutes for a pic to load.
Or. A hour for a song to load.

This was I believe the second forum I have ever joined. First was a bowling forum where I went by Hammer77. I only roll Hammer balls and 77 is the year I was born. So when I joined here I just used the same name.

Then a few years ago I acquired the the name Flatrate with a small business I started. The name just stuck and came to be what some knew me as, so I changed it here.

The avatar is Lance from Pulp Fiction, just always liked the character.

Dave

Reactions: jcam222
Thanks to Charles Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke for renewing this old thread! Don't know how I missed it the first time around. The story behind my username might be a little boring:

I'm a retired educator. Back in the early to mid 2000's, when I first started needing online usernames, I was the head basketball coach at the school where I spent the final 21 years of my career. The school's colors were Red and White. And during those same years, I had a teaching buddy who enjoyed watching the old Red Green Show. If you never saw it, try to find it somewhere - very funny stuff! So anyway, as a joke, he started calling me Red Green (my last name is Green). The nickname "Red" kinda stuck...and since I was still coaching, I thought "Seeing Red" seemed kinda clever as username...which I abbreviated to SeenRed.

My avatar and username are not related in any way...I just found that old screenshot of Rodney Dangerfield from CaddyShack - and it cracked me up so much that I've been using it as my avatar ever since.

Red

Last edited:
In all the years I have been a member, I have chuckled at some of the usernames and avatars that accompany them.

Some are self explanatory, but others are a bit of a mystery as to what they mean or represent.

I thought it would be fun to post your avatar and username with a brief explanation of what it means .

Mine is BandCollector BandCollector .

I have been an avid Canada goose hunter for the past 50 years and have been lucky enough to collect leg bands (used to monitor the migration of the geese) in Pennsylvania, Missouri, Virginia, Maryland, and Canada. I recently gave up hunting because my best friend and lifelong hunting buddy developed rheumatoid arthritis and is unable to walk well enough to get into the field.

So, What's Yours?

John
Fxsales goes back to a prior job where i sold high end computers for broadcast special effects.

I remember seeing this thread but have no idea why I didn't post. I have changed my avatar several times since joining so no rhythm or reason there. My user name is simply my first name and birthday.

I got the name "Demon" from my time of sportbike riding. For some reason, wildlife was drawn to me and my bike. 2 rabbits, 4 squirrels, and 6 birds were all casualties. So DemonRR, DemonTrich, and DemonPit.

Last edited:
As an avid bowhunter for almost four decades Ishi was the last wild Indian that was starving and the last of his people. He came out of the wilderness in Orville California and Dr Pope nursed him back to health at Berkeley university.
Dr Pope became interested in bow hunting after being around him so Ishi was the start of modern day bowhunting.
We visited the land where Ishi lived in 2016 and my avatar is a memorial to him on a hill between Mill and Deer creek in the Ishi wilderness

As an avid bowhunter for almost four decades Ishi was the last wild Indian that was starving and the last of his people. He came out of the wilderness in Orville California and Dr Pope nursed him back to health at Berkeley university.
Dr Pope became interested in bow hunting after being around him so Ishi was the start of modern day bowhunting.
We visited the land where Ishi lived in 2016 and my avatar is a memorial to him on a hill between Mill and Deer creek in the Ishi wilderness
Before I had so many shoulder issues, I was an avid bowhunter myself.
For those interested, here's a good article telling the story of Saxton Pope, Art Young, and Ishi...

My username comes from early 2000's I got my first new Harley, It was a SuperGlide. I joined a Harley forum and couldn't think of a name so I had a new Superglide so Newglide is what I came up with and it kinda stuck. The Avatar is a 40's Harley Knuckle Head, one of my dream bikes that I will probably never have

mines not too exciting, name is Tim, last initials is B. So 20 years ago when I started some hunting and trapping forums I was just TimB and it got bent into Timber by some boys and just stuck. Avatar is a deer I shot w one of my vintage bear bows. I’m a hunter and essentially that’s why I’m here - to make the best food w the things I kill.
Timber

Before I had so many shoulder issues, I was an avid bowhunter myself.
For those interested, here's a good article telling the story of Saxton Pope, Art Young, and Ishi...
The biography of Ishi tells the whole story in detail and is a good read also

Hijack73 Hijack73

Can you please explain what a "wash plant" is and how it's used in goldmining. I'm not familiar with that type of plant.

Thanks,

John
I missed this a million years ago.......

A wash plant is any kind of system you put paydirt (gold bearing material) through to separate the heavy gold from the lighter everything else. You use water to wash rocks and dirt away, and gold is captured in a media or a sluice box. If you watch one of those Gold Rush shows, they use monster sized ones.

I had an older one of these.

Reactions: DemonPit
Mine does not make sense anymore. I joined a long time ago and at the time I had a 1990 Ford Bronco that was a beater that I used to go off road a lot. I don't really use that name anymore but it is still used here. I really should change it to something better but haven't bothered the admins to do that yet.

Thanks to Charles Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke for renewing this old thread! Don't know how I missed it the first time around. The story behind my username might be a little boring:

I'm a retired educator. Back in the early to mid 2000's, when I first started needing online usernames, I was the head basketball coach at the school where I spent the final 21 years of my career. The school's colors were Red and White. And during those same years, I had a teaching buddy who enjoyed watching the old Red Green Show. If you never saw it, try to find it somewhere - very funny stuff! So anyway, as a joke, he started calling me Red Green (my last name is Green). The nickname "Red" kinda stuck...and since I was still coaching, I thought "Seeing Red" seemed kinda clever as username...which I abbreviated to SeenRed.

My avatar and username are not related in any way...I just found that old screenshot of Rodney Dangerfield from CaddyShack - and it cracked me up so much that I've been using it as my avatar ever since.

Red
And all this time I thought your aviator was you. Guess I’ve not known Dangerfield

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky