Australia day lamb shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I wanted to try this today so yesterday I picked up a package clearly marked "lamb shoulder". I got it prepped and put it on the smoker just now. However, there were more bones than I have seen in any of the pictures of lamb shoulder. I check the package again and it says lamb shoulder "chop ready", did I get ribs? Either way the thing is already on the smoker, but will this still work for pulled lamb?

Hmmm interesting. Was yours sliced already?
My best guess is that you got Lamb Shoulder but more like Country Style Ribs.
Pork CSR's come from the back portion of the shoulder and have parts of the shoulder blade sliced into them.
The Boston Pork Butt (shoulder) is the more forward portion that has the rest of the shoulder blade bone in it.

Very confusing I know lol. In any case I think the lamb shoulder you have may be like the CSR version. It should all eat well anyhow so no biggy :)

Hmmm interesting. Was yours sliced already?
My best guess is that you got Lamb Shoulder but more like Country Style Ribs.
Pork CSR's come from the back portion of the shoulder and have parts of the shoulder blade sliced into them.
The Boston Pork Butt (shoulder) is the more forward portion that has the rest of the shoulder blade bone in it.

Very confusing I know lol. In any case I think the lamb shoulder you have may be like the CSR version. It should all eat well anyhow so no biggy :)
No it wasn't sliced. I'm a little upset because I wanted to replicate what was made in this thread. Oh well, I will find out in a couple hours what I end up with.

No it wasn't sliced. I'm a little upset because I wanted to replicate what was made in this thread. Oh well, I will find out in a couple hours what I end up with.

Can you post up a picture? If it was from any part of the shoulder then you'l be fine.. lamb shoulders can be quite boney sometimes, cook it to 200+ and when a probe slides in with no resistance then she's done.. just the same as a pork butt

Can you post up a picture? If it was from any part of the shoulder then you'l be fine.. lamb shoulders can be quite boney sometimes, cook it to 200+ and when a probe slides in with no resistance then she's done.. just the same as a pork butt
You were right, it fell apart just like a pork shoulder. The cost is pretty high over here, but it was fun to experiment. It stopped going up at about 203 so I took it off and let it rest for about an hour in foil. Shredded it up with the normal gyro additions and everyone seemed to like it. Thanks for the inspiration.

You were right, it fell apart just like a pork shoulder. The cost is pretty high over here, but it was fun to experiment. It stopped going up at about 203 so I took it off and let it rest for about an hour in foil. Shredded it up with the normal gyro additions and everyone seemed to like it. Thanks for the inspiration.

No worries my friend, im really glad it turned out good for ya :)

Looks fantastic and am looking to trying soon. Question though, how much did your shoulder weigh and how long did it take you to get to that 203?
Thanks
And
Happy belated Australia Day!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky