Auber won't power smoke generator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buttinator

Original poster
Oct 6, 2021
I have the WiFi Auber.

I can't get any power from the smoke generator outlet. Is there some setting to turn it on? I assumed it was always-on.

I am using non multi-step.

These Auber people need to hire a non-engineer to write a manual.

TIA.

Do you have the correct cord for it? If their manual is the same as their previous model it's not so easy to understand. I think it was tallbm tallbm that told me to read it while standing on my head and drinking a beer! Maybe he'll chime in to help ya. Or chopsaw chopsaw I believe is pretty knowledgeable with them.

Ryan

Since I am using Masterbuilt's smoke generator with a normal AC cord, I am using a 5-15r to C14 adapter to connect to the Auber. Probably should have tested this before I started the smoke. Just plugged the generator into a regular outlet.

I'm doing the ol' convert-grocery-store-corned-beef-into-pastrami trick today.

Thanks Ryan . Saw this earlier and have been looking for info on this model. I guess I'm confused by the " smoke generator outlet " does it have 2 receptacles on it ? One for the heating element and one for something else ?

Thanks Ryan . Saw this earlier and have been looking for info on this model. I guess I'm confused by the " smoke generator outlet " does it have 2 receptacles on it ? One for the heating element and one for something else ?
It has options to get extra power cords, one was c13 to c14 power cord and the other was c14 to nema5-15r power cord. I didn't know what either one was, but here's a pic

Screenshot_20211113-162325_Chrome.jpg

I just wonder if there's a setting to control the outlet to smoke generator since this model is controllable via wifi. Thus if you wanted to turn smoke off while not home you could . I haven't looked at manual yet

Ryan

Ok . I couldn't get that picture for some reason .
Anyway , has to be said . Did you verify power from the source ?

Since I am using Masterbuilt's smoke generator with a normal AC cord, I am using a 5-15r to C14 adapter to connect to the Auber. Probably should have tested this before I started the smoke. Just plugged the generator into a regular outlet.

I'm doing the ol' convert-grocery-store-corned-beef-into-pastrami trick today.
So the smoke generator works being plugged into a regular outlet?

Ryan

You use the "relay" setting to toggle the smoke generator.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211113-181255_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20211113-181255_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20211113-181906_AuberWifi.jpg
    Screenshot_20211113-181906_AuberWifi.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 20
You use the "relay" setting to toggle the smoke generator.
OK, looks like you have to use multi-step mode to power the smoke generator.

Again I implore Auber to hire a non-engineer to design the software for this unit. :emoji_expressionless: The end users are not doing scientific experiments and probably don't have advanced EE degrees.

So the smoke generator works being plugged into a regular outlet?

Ryan

Yes it works fine from a regular outlet. Auber in their infinite wisdom disabled the smoke generator port in single step mode. :emoji_rage:

I have the WiFi Auber.

I can't get any power from the smoke generator outlet. Is there some setting to turn it on? I assumed it was always-on.

TIA.
Hi there and welcome!

I'm not sure I'll be of much help as I have not used the smoker generator.

If you have a multimeter you can test that outlet and see if it is putting out any current.
Next thing is to test the cables somehow if you can and test your smoke generator against the wall outlet. Just some basic troubleshooting to see what everything is doing and then we can go from there.

I have the WiFi Auber.

TIA.
If you have the controller in single step mode like I do so no minutes to enter just enter temp and set, then that smoke generator receptacle is disabled. It needs to be in multi step mode. I don't have this wifi model. I think the Bradley smokers use this receptacle not sure.

So sounds like step 1 should always be set to 1 second at 250F and then just adjust Step 2 to go forever at your normal smoking temp lol.

Goofy hacks but set once and you should be good to go :)

OR if you really get fed up with it you could open the Auber and just rewire to that receptacle but that may lead to more headache if you botch something or can't get it all back together as well as they did :)

Actually while typing this I just searched on Amazon and this would be the simplest fix :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky