Are these good knives??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You can't go wrong with Henckels. Had our set now for years. Take care of them and they will last forever.

I have and use Henckels Twin series knives from their 4 star and Cuisine lines. They are great knives.

I have a boning knife in the Henckels Twin Cuisine series that is my favorite and it is just scary sharp, and responds well to a ceramic steel to fine dress the blade.

For that price you definitely cannot go wrong.

Good luck.

I have used Henckel for years - those are a good set of knives at a good price

I have an 8" 4* Chef and paring knife. I don't use the chef knife much since moving into Japanese cutlery but the price listed is not a bad price. The "regular" price is a bit inflated and they aren't worth that. I usually advise against sets but this is a great price and you will use at least 2-3 of those knives on a regular basis.

I would strongly suggest you toss that steel and learn to sharpen those knives on a whetstone. Then use a ceramic steel for touch ups. The level of sharpness and performance will soar to new levels. They are not even remotely as sharp as they can be out of the box. One medium grit stone like a Bester 1200 grit http://www.easttoolwest.com/bester-c...ter-s1200.html is all that you need plus some thing to flatten the stone with to keep it level like a Norton flatting stone http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/No...ne-P29C25.aspx This simple system will keep your knives razor sharp for years. It's not that hard to learn to sharpen a knife.

Henckels make a quality knife and I have some in my kitchen. The ones I have fit me and the use, but I have other brands that meet my needs better than some of the Henckels brand. Don't buy knives just because of the name. Make sure the knife balances you and the use.

THANKS GUYS!!!! I GOT UM OFF THE NET!!

EVEN GOT FREE SHIPPING TO BOOT!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I appreciate everyone's expert opinion!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I AGREE, I am, among other things, a Journeyman Machinist and know exactly what you are talking about and really have all that. So I will take your advice also.

W-e-l-l-l-l-l-l-l, I guess I'll just wander over to our local Macy's and see what they've got on the floor. When my step-father retired as a Meat Cutter, he passed his knives on to me. Didn't pass his stones though
icon_neutral.gif
. I know I need a good boning knife. The other information about water stones and leveling stones has been absorbed and will be taken care of. I'm just an old journey electrician, the sharpest my knife had to be was to strip some sheathing off some wire. I hope somebody can give me a pointer on how to properly use these fine tools you've added to my kit.

I once wondered over to Macy's in South Beach and found a large selection of open stock Henckels for $9 each. Ranged from their high end to low end. One had a broken tip, one had a litle rust at the edge. Most were just open stock. I picked up a half a dozen. Fixed the tip on the 4 star utility knife, cleaned them all up and put a good edge on them. I've given them to my kids to use. I really had no use for them but it was just too good of a deal to pass up on and I knew I could turn them around to be fine kitchen tools.

Yes they are some great knifes. I have a set of twins but they are the ones with the steel line in the handle. They are more then sharp they are scary sharp so be care full. Nobody but me uses or cleans theses knifes. Now that is a really good price on that set for sure. The 8" knife I have goes for 175.00 itself.

Yes. They are nice knives and this is a nice knife set.

Sharpen them every once in a while and they'll last forever (learn to sharpen them yourself properly...or hire a pro....or call me in 5-10 years when you start eyeballing another set of knives because these are dull
biggrin.gif
).

i don't know about the "twin" series is but the 4-star line is the only high $$ knife that i like to use. i have used global, messermeister, wustoff, etc as well as other henckels including classic and 5-star and my preference has always been the 4 star line due to the performance and most of all shape of the handle. most people quote all sorts of stats on the hardness of he steel but overlook the shape of the handle. the best steel in the world is worthless unless the handle fits your hand well....take it from me, sometimes i use a knife for most of the day.

For Christmas I received a Wusthof Nikiri knife. Man what an edge this thing has! It came with a great little paring knife with about a 2 inch blade. Love them. What a difference this is...my other knives weren't bad, nice full tang, but I've had them for a number of years and they hae definitely lost their edge. My dad used to use a wet stone for his fishing knives, maybe I'll ask him to try to edge those!!!

Hey Chef,

The Henckels twin series refers to this logo on their line of knives:

Their classic line only has one guy on the logo and are generally their less expensive "value added" knives...I know because I have knives from both lines. The Twin series is then categorized by different lines such as cuisine, 4 star, professional, signature, etc.

Hope this helps...

i've got 4 star before the twins came out an they have 2 dudes........i did notice that the new twin 4 stars had a metal heal on the handle similar to the wustoff's grand prix......the only other high $$ knife that i like for prolonged use.

Here is a link to the Twin series knife models...I see the 4 star II has the metal end cap on the knives. http://www.zwillingonline.com/twin.html

No matter which one you get, Henckels makes good knives. I have some of the classic single dude knives and they are our every day knives. I then have some of the much more expensive Twin series Cuisine and 4 star knives that I keep in a drawer and only I use those. Good stuff
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

what i like about the 4 star is the comfort......another knife i like for comfort is forshner rosewood handle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky