Approx thaw time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jake0531

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 10, 2017
Mulvane, KS
i have a couple 8ish lb bone in pork shoulders in my freezer and wanting to smoke one on Saturday. I’ll inject it right before it goes on the smoker. How soon should I sit it to thaw?
Thanks,
Jake

Okay I’ll go ahead and set it out now, just in case. I want it to be fully thawed

Given our outdoors in Winter is a giant freezer ...

When ever I have a HUGE chunk of meat to thaw, I leave it at room temp for a few hours to help get it going, then put it in the fridge a few days in advance. Checking it a few times a day. I've left things on the counter overnight to get them unthawed. At that size it can take few days. Make sure your fridge doesn't have a spot where things freeze..been there..done that!

Reactions: SonnyE
If the meat is sealed up good, overnight in a 56qt. ice chest full of cool water will thaw them out. As it thaws, it drops the temp of the water to below 40* so no worries about spoiling. This is how I thaw meat out for making sausages.

Reactions: JC in GB
I’d get it out now. Depends on your fridge temp though.

I keep my beer fridge extremely cold. You know to where when you crack a cold one and it’s got a tiny bit of slush in it sometimes.

Definitely don’t want to stick it in that fridge haha regular fridge you should be good by Saturday morning

Reactions: JC in GB
I like to cycle stuff out of the fridge on the counter and back in the fridge. 30 minutes on then counter 2 hours in the fridge will speed it up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky