Anyone use wood pellets in their MES?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I don't know what to tell you.

This is the first I've heard about one going out without even putting it in the smoker or mailbox. That eliminates the "bad airflow" problem.

The only other main things would be either your pellets are damp, or you're still not getting a big enough red hot cherry going.

Believe me---The extra work is definitely worth it.

Before you give up, try this:

Here's probably the problem. Everyone I've taught how to get them lit properly has swore up & down they were lighting them fine. Many of them have recanted that statement since. I light mine deep with the Propane torch. Then I blow on it down & in toward the bottom of the unburned pellets. Then I let the flame burn awhile. When the flame goes out, I blow on it down & in until the glowing red goes deeper. Then I let it flame awhile. Then a few minutes later I do the same thing again. Then a few minutes I do the same thing again. I do this until I get about a 2" or better long, full row width glowing cherry in the bottom of the pellets. Then after about a total of 20 minutes of coming back & blowing that cherry deeper & deeper, I put it on the little bars to the left of my chip burner assembly. The only time mine ever goes out is if I use straight Cherry pellets. If you use a heat gun, you can cut the time & energy down from my method. This all sounds like a PITA, but I feel it is worth it to get up to 11 hours of perfect smoke.

Bear
Hey, Bear--didn't I steal this from you? No wonder I sounded so eloquent--I plagiarized you, buddy!
Bear, I'm having the same issue with the AMAZIN. I even tried forced air with a small fan blowing into the opening where the chip loader goes and the dang thing still went out. It certainly looks like an airflow issue. When using the Amazen, do you leave the ash tray and chip loader in or out? Without a lower damper door, there's only the top damper to control the airflow and temps. 

Since it snowed yesterday, I'm doing a Rib smoke today using the MES40. I'm prepared to use either chips or pellets. 

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Bear, I'm having the same issue with the AMAZIN. I even tried forced air with a small fan blowing into the opening where the chip loader goes and the dang thing still went out. It certainly looks like an airflow issue. When using the Amazen, do you leave the ash tray and chip loader in or out? Without a lower damper door, there's only the top damper to control the airflow and temps. 

Since it snowed yesterday, I'm doing a Rib smoke today using the MES40. I'm prepared to use either chips or pellets. 

Definitely not on Bears level but I'll give my experience.

When I use my AMNPS, I always leave the top vent completely open, pull the chip drawer out about an inch and a half, and completely remove the side loader unless it's a particularly windy day.

Over time, I've found these steps will let my AMNPS smoke all through the night without an issue. If I forget or skip a step its out within 30 minutes.

Good luck and happy smokin

Last edited:

Definitely not on Bears level but I'll give my experience.

When I use my AMNPS, I always leave the top vent completely open, pull the chip drawer out about an inch and a half, and completely remove the side loader unless it's a particularly windy day.

Over time, I've found these steps will let my AMNPS smoke all through the night without an issue. If I forget or skip a step its out within 30 minutes.

Good luck and happy smokin
thanks for the Tips! I'll give those a try today...

Which MES 40 do you have?

Where do you put it?

You can try those things, but if it's a Gen #1, and you're smoking in York, PA with dry pellets, the only problem should be that it's not lit good enough to begin with. I never touch my chip drawer or dumper. I just keep my pellets & dust dry & light it really good. Top vent fully open.

Also---NO Water in the Pan!!!

Bear

Last edited:
The mod I did on my MES Gen 2 was taking out the diffuser/vent on the upper left (3? screws on the inside) and replacing it with a 3" in diameter 45° metal elbow ($5 roughly @ lowes) and a 3" metal cap with vent ($9 @ lowes #26365). When I installed the adjustable elbow, I drew a line with a sharpie around the inside wall edge of my smoker on the elbow (roughly 1" all the way around the elbow). I took a pair of tin snips and cut slots up to the the line i drew about every 1/4"-1/2". That way i could I fold them back against the inside wall. It made it very snug, and didn't have to screw it down like others did. I then took hvac high temp tape and taped the seams on the outside portion of the elbow. Then installed the vent cap, and taped that seem as well. I removed the ash try completely, leave the chip loaded out about 1-2" depending on how windy it is. I also sit the AMNPS right over the grease hole in the bottom. Side note, I still use the water pan, but I use Dr. Pepper instead of water. This has allowed my smoker to breathe so much better. It is almost like night and day.

After doing all of that, I found that my AMNPS now works. So I use that now. It is nice being able to get a good night sleep now. Instead of checking on the smoker every few hours. I just wish I would have found that mod 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Which MES 40 do you have?

Where do you put it?

You can try those things, but if it's a Gen #1, and you're smoking in York, PA with dry pellets, the only problem should be that it's not lit good enough to begin with. I never touch my chip drawer or dumper. I just keep my pellets & dust dry & light it really good. Top vent fully open.

Also---NO Water in the Pan!!!

Bear
Bear, I have the Gen2 MES 40. I have it outside in a covered area. I also use the 6x6 and I think that one only burns dust so Pellets might not be an option for me with this. I will burn the next tray quite a bit longer before putting it in the smoker too. 

Will keep ya posted!

Bear, I have the Gen2 MES 40. I have it outside in a covered area. I also use the 6x6 and I think that one only burns dust so Pellets might not be an option for me with this. I will burn the next tray quite a bit longer before putting it in the smoker too. 

Will keep ya posted!
OK, You're right, the 6X6 AMNS is just for Dust, so it's probably no good if you're smoking over 200° to 230°.

On your Gen #2, are you removing your water pan & putting the Amazing over the hole left by the water pan? That will get air flowing through it.

If you are, then put a foil pan on the floor under the hole, and something above the Amazing to keep drips off of it.

Do you mean you only have a 6X 6 AMNS, or do you also have the AMNPS.

For smokes over 200° to 230° you need the AMNPS.

Bear

These guys have addressed the airflow issues and procedures well. But don't forget the pellets need to be dry. You can microwave or oven bake them then keep them sealed, or you can "preheat" them in a hot smoker for an hour or two before lighting, you can Fed Ex them to the desert in Iran if you must, but get em dry! Always works for me.

It's not a "manufacturer defect", any wood product like this can absorb moisture if your climate or storage is the least bit humid.

These guys have addressed the airflow issues and procedures well. But don't forget the pellets need to be dry. You can microwave or oven bake them then keep them sealed, or you can "preheat" them in a hot smoker for an hour or two before lighting, you can Fed Ex them to the desert in Iran if you must, but get em dry! Always works for me.

It's not a "manufacturer defect", any wood product like this can absorb moisture if your climate or storage is the least bit humid.
Great Point:

I made this post (below) 5 years ago. I use these jugs for Dust and/or Pellets:

For those of you who have an "A-MAZE-N-SMOKER", or any other dust burning smoke generator, This is how I keep my powder (Dust) dry. Humidity will effect how the dust & pellets burn.

Last edited:
Well, the upside is that I completed the Rib smoke today without any problem using chips. The next time I smoke some cured bacon, I'll use the AMNS. I usually keep the smoker temp at 200F max anyway when smoking pork belly. 

Thanks for the tips on the airflow issue. I'd like to think Masterbuilt has a plan to dramatically improve on this. I remembered that no matter how high a temp I use, there won't be a ring using the electric smoker. The Ribs came out great, but the ring is the thing. :)

So at the end of the day, the MES has it uses as well as my other gear and as we all know, you have to have the right gear to do the job. 

Smoke On!

Last edited:

Well, the upside is that I completed the Rib smoke today without any problem using chips. The next time I smoke some cured bacon, I'll use the AMNS. I usually keep the smoker temp at 200F max anyway when smoking pork belly. 

Thanks for the tips on the airflow issue. I'd like to think Masterbuilt has a plan to dramatically improve on this. I remembered that no matter how high a temp I use, there won't be a ring using the electric smoker. The Ribs came out great, but the ring is the thing. :)

So at the end of the day, the MES has it uses as well as my other gear and as we all know, you have to have the right gear to do the job. 

Smoke On!
I use my AMNS with Dust for Bacon, and anything else with a Smoker temp of 200° or less.

Also if I only need 3 hours of smoke, I sometimes use dust in my AMNS with 1 1/4 rows filled at higher temps, because I'm not going to worry about it jumping rows with only 1 1/4 rows filled. (Where's it going to go??)

Also----A Smoke Ring is all show anyway.
biggrin.gif

Bear

Made another batch of jerky yesterday and used pellets from cookinpellets.com.   I was pleasantly surprised at how well they worked as far as staying lit and the amount of flavor they imparted.

I just bought MES 30-Directions state DO NOT USE PELLETS---I recently purchased 2 bags of Alder pellets that state for use with electric smokers as well as other grills.  Now im all confused on what I should do.  Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: havasugrammy
I use apple wood pellets almost exclusively and have for years. You will actually get a better quality smoke from pellets than chips using the mes unit. One mistake many people make is to think more smoke equals better food when the truth is that the right amount equals better food. In many cases just a few ounces of pellets applied at the right times will give you a superior quality product. Smoke should enhance the flavor not be the flavor.

I just bought MES 30-Directions state DO NOT USE PELLETS---I recently purchased 2 bags of Alder pellets that state for use with electric smokers as well as other grills.  Now im all confused on what I should do.  Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
All I use are wood pellets since I bought the AMNPS over 3 years ago. Just an advisory about alder pellets. I used them for the first time some weeks ago for a cold smoke and they kept flaming out. They're a very soft wood and that contributed to it. Instead of remaining hard as hickory, oak, and other hardwood pellets do as they smolder, alder becomes very compacted, soft ash which in effect smothers the fire. Even trying to spread apart the red hot ashes to allow for better airflow didn't help. To solved the problem by mixing them with apple wood pellets which kept both types of pellets smoking for hours. For hot smokes the alder alone did just fine.

My lil sis has a pellet BBQ'er. I am not impressed. Last meal I had from it, I got no smokey flavor and there's no way to control heat side to side (I like cool areas of the grill and hot areas). The pellets may stay ignited, but do they impart good smokey flavor like chunks? I have seen how pellets are made for wood stoves and have even built pellet stoves. They use additives to bind the saw dust together for forming the pellets. Give me good, adulterated wood. I might add, my luck with fine, almost sawdust woods was less then good.

I have been using Traeger pellets since I bought my used MES. I buy them at Costco when Traeger has a kiosk in the store.  $12 for 20lb. I think if you buy 2 bags the shipping is free. At least it used to be.

I have apple, cherry, hickory, mesquite, and oak (not my fav). For beef I like 50/50 mesquite/hickory.

My lil sis has a pellet BBQ'er. I am not impressed. Last meal I had from it, I got no smokey flavor and there's no way to control heat side to side (I like cool areas of the grill and hot areas). The pellets may stay ignited, but do they impart good smokey flavor like chunks? I have seen how pellets are made for wood stoves and have even built pellet stoves. They use additives to bind the saw dust together for forming the pellets. Give me good, adulterated wood. I might add, my luck with fine, almost sawdust woods was less then good.
That depends on what Pellets you get.

Ones for heating like in my House heating Pellet stove, you wouldn't want to smoke with.

However the ones from Amazing Smokers are All Wood----No other junk.

Bear

What the directions mean is do not put pellets into the chip tray. If you do, you will get too much smoke and only for a few minutes.

As others have said, using pellets in special tray gives you great smoke for up to 10 hours without adding more. So much better that adding chips every 30 minutes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky