Anyone try this Smoked Salmon recipe from ifish?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vstheboombox

Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Oregon
http://ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=64066

I tried this smoked salmon recipe for my second smoke project out of my MES 30". I bought some store bought salmon from WINCO just have some practice. however it turned out pretty horrible for me. I followed the instructions but got confused as to what temp and how long I should be smoking my salmon. The end result came out with salty salmon with some honey glaze on it. Not really sure where/why it came out so bad? 

These are the two things that I could think of where it went wrong for me:

-Not knowing the temp and duration to smoke. I started off at 160 then bumped it up to 225 to get the alder pellets going then back down to about 180 for a duration of about 4 hrs. 

-Not washing off the brine. The directions said to leave the brine on. 

Anyone know of a rookie proof step by step smoked salmon recipe? Good thing this was just a practice run. 

During the Brining process

Letting it rest before I put it in the smoker

Throwing it in the smoker with some apple/cran juice. 

Halfway through

Out of the smoker than putting it in oven at 325 with honey glaze

finished product. Outside was good but inside was way too salty just didn't have that smokiness to it either. 

long ago an old timer told me how to check the saltiness of a brine using an egg,   mix up you brine then drop an egg into it,   if it floats on top to much salt,  the right amount of salt will just lift the egg off the bottom of the container.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky