Any tips for smoking just the flat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pacotito

Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Ive done full packers before. The problem I keep running into...which is my fault entirely. Is that Im only cooking for 4. So between work kids ect we always forget to freeze the left overs. The point usually ends up in the trash a week later. So the plan is to smoke just the flat and turn the point into corned beef. I assume that it should be much of the same. Has anyone ran into any things I should keep an eye out for with smoking just the flat? Would it be better to smoke the point?

Last edited:
I have to separate the point from the flat when I do a brisket in my MES 30--not enough room to do a whole packer. I just put the point above the flat so the fat renders out onto the flat.
As for which would be better......We prefer the flat as neither Miss Linda nor I eat any fat--just don't like it. I always turn the point into Burnt Ends. But thats just what WE like.
Gary

I can attest to Al's method as I did my last flat that way. It turned out terrific! It won't be the last time I use this method.

Here's what i normally do. I used to make my own brisket rub but I gave up on it because I found one that was way better than any of the ones I tried to make. This is what I've been using...

You can of course use your own if you prefer.

I cut the fat cap down to about 1/4 inch and put the brisket on a baking sheet. Then I take about 1/2 a cup of molasses and mix it with about 2 table spoons of Dijon mustard (if you have a bigger brisket you can do more to meet your needs). After that I rub the brisket down with the mixture (it helps give the rub something to bind to as well as helping to give it a crunchier bark). After that I liberally apply the rub. After that's done I cover the whole thing with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator overnight. Then I get my smoker going to about 250 and put the brisket in until it hits an internal temp of 195. After that I take it out and wrap it in foil or peach paper (peach paper will give you a crunchier bark) for about an hour and then slice it. No sauce or anything like that. You can always add that when you eat it.

You want to try and keep the temps as consistent as possible and open the door as little as possible. You shouldn't cook for a set amount of time you should cook until it reached an certain internal temperature so you will need a good thermometer. That said a brisket flat should take about an hour per pound and it will have a stall somewhere around 160 and 170. I've had a 7 pound flat take 8 hours and I've had one that took 6 1/2 hours so there really is no set time. The best way to put it is that it's done when it's done. The hour per pound is a general guideline.

Hope this helps.

If you have more questions let me know. I'm happy to help if I can.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky