Any Bourbon drinkers here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mother's Milk in alphabetical order....

Ezra Brooks (my wallet's best friend)
Knob Creek
Maker's Mark
Woodford Reserve

....all made better if I can find them in my brother-in-law's liquor cabinet.

For everyday drinking ( I dont have bourbon everyday ) it would be Jim Beam Black.
I like it for making my bbq sauce too.

My other 2 favorites are Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. The Spirit is the king for me. I'm kind of surprised nobody had the Turkeys listed.

Jim Beam
Early Times
Makers mark
Crown Royal,
but latley have switched to gin, I guess I like the taste of paint thinner ;)

I always thought of plain ole JD as bourbon. Recently, I've begun exploring what bourbon really is, and now understand the diff between JD and true bourbon.

That being said, my tastings have been limited, but of the three I know I've tasted (in excess...): Maker's Mark, Knob Creek, and Woodford Reserve, I'm leaning toward Woodford as my favorite.

Thanks for starting this post. Bourbon is a fine precursor (and finisher) to a long que.

I keep Maker's on hand all the time, and swap others in and out all the time.

When my grandfather passed away years ago, he left a small stash of Ancient Ancient Age, which I got and which is some of the best I've ever had. I tried for years to find it in stores, and finally learned that it is only sold in Kentucky. I still have about a quarter of the last bottle from his stash. (I guess it must be at least 25 years old at this point, now that I think about it.

I also have bottle of Rye I got from a friend whose family has a collection of liquors left from pre-prohibition days, which were hidden in the cellar of the family business when they were outlawed. I have no idea how old it must be, but boys howdy it is some SMOOOOOOOTH drinkin' stuff!

Hey Slim,
I have a purist friend who puts some very tight restraints on what a true burbon is. He says, it must be made in Ky., at least 51% corn, aged in oak and one other that I can't remember. All the ones I've read here seem to be pretty good ..... some outstanding but George ****el in the tan label is my go to "burbon" made in Tenn. And of course there's always Woodford Reserve for those very special occasions.... on the rocks.

I'm with bwsmith on the George Di ckel- although not a true bourbon, it is the smoooothest for the money. Although I think I would settle for any of the others already mentioned!

Your friend is right on the money....us people in KY take our bourbon very serious...

Hey bwsmith, it's not your purist friend but federal standards that classify what bourbon must be
  • Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn
  • Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).
  • Bourbon must contain no caramel coloring (E-150)
  • Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak aging barrels
  • Bourbon may not be introduced to the barrel at higher than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).
  • Bourbon which meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years, may (but is not required to) be called Straight Bourbon.
  • Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
  • If an age is stated on the label, it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle.

Since BBQ and Bourbon go hand in hand I have been trying to enjoy bourbon more and more since a buddy exposed me to some Pappy Van Wickle a while back. That bourbon is out of my price range, but I have been enjoying Jim Beam White, & Knob Creek lately to get me exposed to bourbon.

On the list to try are Makers Mark, Jim Beam Black, and Old Grand Dad.

thanks for the tip,

gotta see if I can get that @ my local small town liquor store.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky