Amish Style Sweet Bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
I have used this recipe a few times. Its pretty good.

4 lbs ground venison or 4 pounds 90/10 GB
1 lb extra lean ground beef if using venison. If going all GB just add this pound the the other 4
1/3 cup Morton Tender Quick. (yeah i know but trust me)
1 TBSP ground black pepper. If you like more then add to your taste
6 TBSP liquid smoke. If you can use wrights red bottle and cut it down to 4.5 T. If you smoke with Hickory use wrights hickory LS. If you smoke with apple use wrights apple LS.
Kings smokehouse in Lancaster County used apple smoke and cloth bags tied shut with wire. Just some Amish history.
1/2 TBSP garlic powder
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup King syrup. If you cant find Kings you can use Karo dark.
2 TBSP ground mustard. Try to use Colemans
1 TBSP Accent. Yes you can leave this out but you wont ket the authentic Seltzers taste
1/2 TBSP onion powder
1 TBSP hot sauce- for those that like some kick (opt). Seltzers original sweet does not use hot sauce so this is up to you.

BINDER: If your going to use any kind of binder with this recipe use 2oz>>>>>>>BINDER IS OPT
WATER: If you think you need water add slowly to the mix, Mix well and add a tad more. NO MORE THAN 1/4 CUP TO THIS.
Remember the meat will already have BW in it. Thats Bound Water

Mix meat and Tender Quick thoroughly, and set in fridge at least 6 hours or over night

Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well
Stuff into muslin casings that you can make from unbleached muslin. Cut muslin into 10-12 inch strips, double over and sew the bottom and side. You can also buy casings sometimes. Once stuffed, close with a twist tie. (I think i may do one 4" chub using fibrous)

Smoke using hickory or apple. Try not to have a smoker temp higher than 170-175MAX. Take the chubs (if using smaller 2.5" casings to 152 degrees. Takes 4-6 hours depending on your smoker type. Larger chubs will take longer, use the same IT

Allow bologna to cool, then remove the casing. You can cold water if you like

Freeze that you don'y use right away. Good frozen for 8 months

Once you make one batch, you can modify it to suit your tastes.

This would be considered a "sweet" bologna, fer all you Dutchman out there

That's going in my recipe book for sure. Thanks Do you do any extra grinding to get the meat more to immulsification or just leave it as it comes from the butcher?

Corey

I just leave it as i get it.
These days im too lazy to emulsify

1 TBSP Accent. Yes you can leave this out but you wont ket the authentic Seltzers taste
1609451300623.png

Reactions: chopsaw
Just some folks dont like to use TQ. I normally dont but with this recipe i am because there is no other added salt

Five pounds ready for the MTQ.
IMG_2098.JPG

1/3 Cup MTQ. Its there just hard to see.
IMG_8696.JPG

I use an old lawrys shaker. This way i dont get clumps in the meat and get even distribution.
IMG_2647.JPG

I add in layers. If you mix by hand dont over work the meat, you can still smear the fat.
IMG_8707.JPG

All mixed and ready for an overnight in the fridge.
IMG_7745.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG

Been a long time since I had Seltzer's, great stuff. It would be nice to make a facsimile here. I saw a 2014 post of yours on Drybagsteak where you used Molasses. Do you have a preference forKing Syrup over Molasses and this point?...JJ

JJ

I like the King for a more close to original (king hard to get here) I like black strap for a darker look.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Im going to do 2.5 pounds in a 3" and 4" casings.

IMG_7806.JPG

chop

When i do cloth is just get the cloth wet and wring out. Do that just in case there is any loose threads and such.

Reactions: chopsaw
Ok . Thanks . Now I need to figure what I want to make . I have a couple Owen's mixes .

Will make this!! Can you substitute InstaCure#1 for NTQ and if so, how much would you recommend? Thank you for taking me back to my home in PA. I remember my father buying Seltzer's Lebanon Bologna and eating it on the way home in the car.

Yes you can use cure 1 (in place of the MTQ) at 1 level tsp per every five pounds of meat. If you use cure 1 you will need to add salt to the recipe. 1 tsp of cure does NOT have enough salt in it for the recipe.

Got all the dry and syrup all ready. I add the brown sugar and syrup in between mixing in the dry in layers.

IMG_6057.JPG

The dry i mix in a zip so i can press out any clumps. Do not add the brown sugar to the dry or it will clump.
IMG_0167.JPG

Layer the mix, fold in and press to the bottoms and repeat the process until all your added items are gone.
IMG_7436.JPG

Stuff about 2.5 pounds into a 4" casing. I also used two 3" for smaller chubs.
IMG_4261.JPG

Going to be a long day.
IMG_4981.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky