Al's No Wrap Ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Xeno

Original poster
Mar 29, 2022
Hey folks!

I am looking to smoke some ribs I got at Costco yesterday (pre-seasoned.. I know, I know, but they were cheap.) I keep hearing good things about Al's no wrap method, but can't find the thread anywhere. Can someone provide a link, and perhaps some additional tips for that method? I like sauce with ribs, but would Costco's rub + sauce be too much?

Thank you!

you betcha: I run that at 250 till they hit about 195 internal temp (IT). Or pass the bend test. I never wrap them. BB's take about 5+ hours or so.

I some times sauce at the end like last 15-30 min. more often than not I dont sauce till they are on the table.

you betcha: I run that at 250 till they hit about 195 internal temp (IT). Or pass the bend test. I never wrap them. BB's take about 5+ hours or so.

I some times sauce at the end like last 15-30 min. more often than not I dont sauce till they are on the table.
Thank you. These are St. Louis style. Appreciate the help!
First I'd check the package and make sure they aren't precooked ribs.......sauced and seasoned leads me to believe they are
No, they are definitely not cooked. They are only seasoned, not sauced. Thanks!

Reactions: negolien and TNJAKE
SmokinAl SmokinAl has several rib recipe's. Here is one. Several other in his signature.

• Love
Reactions: negolien
I prefer St. Louis style ribs for this.
I do pretty much the same as Al.
I don't pull the membrane, season with SPG a couple of hours before cooking, rest them in the fridge, pop them in a pre-heated smoker. I usually run the smoker at 250F-275F...but mostly at 250F. They are done in about 5 hours...depending...but never more than 6 hours. Done temp typically varies between 195F and 202F.

We use SPG for seasoning
Usually use apple or hickory for smoke
Ribs served naked
Sauce on the side

If I was going to sauce the ribs, I would do so once they hit about 180F (+/-) and wrap them tightly in foil. The ribs IT will shoot up fast when wrapped, so beware.

Hey folks!

I am looking to smoke some ribs I got at Costco yesterday (pre-seasoned.. I know, I know, but they were cheap.) I keep hearing good things about Al's no wrap method, but can't find the thread anywhere. Can someone provide a link, and perhaps some additional tips for that method? I like sauce with ribs, but would Costco's rub + sauce be too much?

Thank you!
Hi there and welcome!

I think this is the thread you are looking for to do it Al's way.

I also never wrap my ribs and I do Al's method but I go up to 198F degrees Internal Temp (IT) of the meat :)
This gives me an even softer bite but not fall off the bone.

I hope this helps! :)

• Love
Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky