• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

ALRIGHT... gonna try 2 chucks..Q VIEW. need some help..

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oonighttrain

Smoke Blower
Sep 6, 2007
all this talk about the chuck got me talked into it. went to the store and asked for 2 chucks.. just under 4lbs each. i got some cherries and poured the juice out, mixed it with some disarrano and injected them. rubbed them with some montreal steak seasoning and a few other things.. there in the frig getting happy right now..

heres the question.. WHAT NOW?
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif

225 about the right temp in my smoker??
i want to be able to pull them when im done.. wrap at 165 and take up to 200??

thanks!

cajunsmoke13

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Aug 7, 2008
Last week I did some, wrapped at 160 and took to 205...Smoked right around 230...Nice looking chuckies...

oonighttrain

Smoke Blower
Sep 6, 2007
from what i read, this is going to be a loooong process??? i read somewhere to basically just forget about looking in the smoker for 10 hours??????

tasunkawitko

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
May 27, 2008
it all depends on weight and mass, jeff's latest newsletter says for brisket you can guesstimate 1.6 hours per pound PLUS two hours. with chuckies it might be a little less - i know that a common rule of thumb for pork shoulder is 1.5 hours per pound and have achieved fairly good estimates with that guideline.

oonighttrain

Smoke Blower
Sep 6, 2007
so a 4 lb chuckie should be done in 6.4 hours.. maybe..

im just trying to figure out when to start it and get everything scheduled.. i was gonna stick it in the smoker when i went to tonite but, doesnt sound like thats gonna work... hmmmmmmmm

tasunkawitko

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
May 27, 2008
since fixing a time is dang near impossible, i'd take your estimate and then add maybe 4 hours to it and start at that time. the great thing about BBQ is that if you're all done ahead of time you can double-foil it, wrap it in a couple of towels and set it in an empty cooler until it's time to fill the trough. it will stay piping hot and if a few things get done before others, it can all be served at the same time.

bigsteve

Master of the Pit
Feb 15, 2009
Thats what I do.

Time is a guesstimate at best. 3 pounders seem to take something like 5 hours.

Don't forget, most of the time the meat will stall for awhile, and stay at the same temp, or even slide back a little. As long as your smoker is staying up to temp, don't futz with the temperature. At some point, your meat will start going back up in temp.

hungryjohn

Smoke Blower
Feb 3, 2009
My chucks always seem to take a bit longer than the standard 1.5 hours per pound estimate, but I think 8 hours would be pretty safe.

oonighttrain

Smoke Blower
Sep 6, 2007
HOUSTON!! i think we have a problem.. chucks only been on for less than 2 hours and my thermometer reads 125.. ??? ??? i think my chucks are too thin..

eman

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
OTBS Member
Feb 3, 2009
Pull your probes and put them in the top of the roast . you may be getting a false reading from the heat rising up the front / side of the pit.
Did this yesterday and it dropped my temps about 12 deg.
May or may not help?

bigsteve

Master of the Pit
Feb 15, 2009
No worry. I've always been amazed how fast they get to 140*. As long as your cooker is around 215~235, you're fine.

eaglewing

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Jul 4, 2008
So the 'FOIL' step is like the same for ribs??...you foil and cook more with chucks?

rickw

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Sep 1, 2008
The last chuckie I did was a 4.5lber and it took right at 7 hours. I took it to 205F for pullin.

ellymae

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 21, 2009
Last chuckie I did was 4 pounds and took 11 hours @ 230....
They tease you because they seem to come up in temp quickly you think you are going to be done cooking really early - then they hit a plateau... and sit there.....
Be patient and you shall be rewarded.

bigsteve

Master of the Pit
Feb 15, 2009
Yes. Many of us foil them at about 160* and cook foiled until 190ish for slicing, or 200~205 for pulling.

billbo

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Aug 19, 2007
I will be throwing on 2 Chuckies myself today. Mine are about 3lbs each. Qview this weekend will be limited as the wife and kids have the camera in Maine. I have lots of beer and the smoker in NY! Iam also painting the uptairs of the house this weekend if anybody wants to help!

I do have a question for all you Chuckie guys. This is my first attempt at them too. Do you use any finishing sauce on them at all like you would a pork butt?

oonighttrain

Smoke Blower
Sep 6, 2007
it was a SUCCESS!!! i foiled them at about 155 because i had to go for a boat ride for a few hours.. got home and they were at 211 according to my thermometer. let them rest foiled for an hour or so and they pulled beautifully.. qview coming up soon..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom
Clicky