Alerts Not Clearing Out

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Im just going to unplug it, count to 5 and plug it back in.....

This is nothing! Try using this site on a phone and try clearing the overlapping ads with trying to touch the tiny closing Xs, then try logging in with overlapping ads, let alone trying to start a thread, posting, and uploading an image as you duck dive ads on a phone. You can't use this site unless your a premier member. Jeff uses his site with ads but doesn't use it with his phone because he'd never be able to post anything. I had to wait to get to a laptop to post this because trying with a phone is absolutely crap like newbies getting involved on SMF even though the numbers say that all is good! A couple friends and family tried to deal with phone and ads but said f.... it. It's embarrassing.

This is nothing! Try using this site on a phone and try clearing the overlapping ads with trying to touch the tiny closing Xs, then try logging in with overlapping ads, let alone trying to start a thread, posting, and uploading an image as you duck dive ads on a phone. You can't use this site unless your a premier member. Jeff uses his site with ads but doesn't use it with his phone because he'd never be able to post anything. I had to wait to get to a laptop to post this because trying with a phone is absolutely crap like newbies getting involved on SMF even though the numbers say that all is good! A couple friends and family tried to deal with phone and ads but said f.... it. It's embarrassing.
Kurt, I can appreciate you not liking the ads, I don't like them either but they ARE necessary. No ads, no forum.

I have provided a super cheap way for you to remove ads if you want to do that via a premier membership. Many sites do not offer that option and definitely not as inexpensive as the ones here because frankly, ads pay better than memberships.

When we were just a small forum, we did not need ads and life was good. I paid for everything out of pocket and if we needed something major done, everyone chipped in.

Now that the site is HUGE, bigger than any of us ever expected it would be, ads are required to pay for the hosting and all of the extra services that make it all work.

I have a certain amount of control on where the ads are placed on larger screens but on tiny screens, there's few options.

By the way..

I am on this site 4+ hours each day and most of the time, I am on my phone. I click the small "x" to close an ad if it is in my way and I get things done.

So my list of alerts gets longer every day... it used to clear out automatically every day... Any idea what's going on with that ??
dicked with it a little this morning. had 172. clicked on alerts and then marked read. cleared out the notice up top. don't know if this helps. i just wait for email, which works.

OK... Let me clarify... On previous platforms once you read all your alerts the drop down window/box with the alerts in it would clear out (after closing alerts) and then be blank/empty until a new alert comes in... So the mark read and mark unread function wasn't needed and therefor didn't need to search for the line separating the two...If there was an alert in the drop down window/box it was always new ... But yet all the alerts were still available on the Show All Alerts page ...
This is what I meant in the original post...
The mark read and mark unread work fine along with the alerts notification bell ...

This may be something that got changed by the software company.. it now shows read and unread. Once you read something, it stays in the box for 72 hours.

I just changed this number (72 hours) to 1 hour in the settings.

Theoretically, once you read something, it should now keep the read alerts for 1 hour and then they should disappear.

Or at least that's what I am led to believe based on the settings that I have.

Let's see what happens with this new setting.

Reactions: sandyut
Thanks for staying after this! I just cleared them all out and will check back this afternoon.

My number is now 736.
I give up---You guys let me know when it's fixed.
All I get is a Headache!

Ole Bear

I believe this has something to do with cookies but I'm not sure how to make it work properly on all devices. I have not contacted the software developers about this as of yet, perhaps I can do that after the holiday chaos and see if we can nail down the reason behind the issues.

On my Mac, the red number on the bell icon counts only unread. The read stuff stays put for a while but it's not counted.

Personally, I don't really use the bell icon/alert feature. I come in here everyday and just go through the stuff that's bolded (unread) on the homepage, that's easier to me than going through the list.

Kurt, I can appreciate you not liking the ads, I don't like them either but they ARE necessary. No ads, no forum.

I have provided a super cheap way for you to remove ads if you want to do that via a premier membership. Many sites do not offer that option and definitely not as inexpensive as the ones here because frankly, ads pay better than memberships.

When we were just a small forum, we did not need ads and life was good. I paid for everything out of pocket and if we needed something major done, everyone chipped in.

Now that the site is HUGE, bigger than any of us ever expected it would be, ads are required to pay for the hosting and all of the extra services that make it all work.

I have a certain amount of control on where the ads are placed on larger screens but on tiny screens, there's few options.

By the way..

I am on this site 4+ hours each day and most of the time, I am on my phone. I click the small "x" to close an ad if it is in my way and I get things done.
No, I can't get my work done with ads covering over my alerts, text box to just use this site on my ph, like you can on your ph, and the computer, because you're not matching with other problems that are on this thread and ends with, "we'll see ......." I don't have this problem. I was a premier member that you can look up from the past, to get rid of 5 virus malware imbedded in ads on SMF and had to be a premier member in the glitches forum. Please find the thread. and not regarding ads. After a year, that deal breaker threat was gone. So no more malware threats embedded, but then could view forum. Why are there double premier memberships badges? After a member spends $100 on premier membership over time they ARE lifetime! I'm not made of money and can't afford to view nothing. Whoever has too much money throw it my way so I can read what's on this site.

TulsaJeff TulsaJeff Looks like the alert are working they are supposed to again, at least mine are. Want to report back a positive on this. Many thanks for all you do for the forum and smoking at large.

Reactions: gmc2003
TulsaJeff TulsaJeff Looks like the alert are working they are supposed to again, at least mine are. Want to report back a positive on this. Many thanks for all you do for the forum and smoking at large.
Glad to hear that! Let me know if you see any further issues and we'll keep tweaking😀

🙃sorry about that.. had to make the Thanksgiving Central button go away and my syntax was off by just a smidgen.

• Haha
Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky