Aged Meat Madness (W/ Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
**This one is all over the charts so I'll leave it to the mods to move if they deem necessary**

Well, after several months of curing and dry aging a variety of meats, a bunch of them came to maturity last weekend. A couple of these pics may be repeats but I thought it may be cool to put everything into one post for reference.

Spent 45 days dry aging a rib roast. Here it is after aging and being trimmed
026.jpg

Cut into 7 massive rib eye steaks
028.jpg

Bresoala after aging and ready to slice
014.jpg

Cut away view
016.jpg

All sliced and ready to serve
017.jpg

Lonzino all done
005.jpg

Sliced for serving
007.jpg

Soppressata. This is one VERY good sausage!!
022.jpg

Out of the UMAi bags
023.jpg

Cut away view
024.jpg

Sliced and on the plate for consumption
025.jpg

Ginger salami...oh so good!!
018.jpg

Out of the UMAi bags. This is as gorgeous as you could ever ask for.
019.jpg

Sliced and ready to eat. Cannot wait!!
021.jpg

As is my typical nature, I just can't dabble in anything. If I am going to do it, it'as go big or stay home :emoji_laughing: When I decided to start curing and dry aging meats there was a lot of research done to gain a comfort level before pulling the trigger. Once the trigger was pulled, I decided to load up. Interestingly enough, all of this stuff came to maturity within a couple days of each other. While monitoring the weights, I decided to hang tight a couple days until a bunch of stuff was ready to slice and I'd do it all at one time. It took some time, but there is no doubt that a distinctive flavor is developed by dry aging versus just making a sausage, letting it sit overnight, then smoking the next day. Don't get me wrong, I have a ton of sausages that were made, stuffed, and smoked the next day that are outstanding and I'll continue making those but I will also continue seeking fantastic ways to cure and dry age different salami. Oh.... I also have a 10# Pancetta in progress that may be a couple more months before reaching maturity but it should be fantastic.

Aging faster than my meat,
Robert

"Looks fantastic!! I hope you post your sausage recipies."

I will get the recipes for the sausages posted very soon. Don't have time right now but I'll get to it hopefully tomorrow.

Booked solid for today,
Robert

"Looks fantastic!! I hope you post your sausage recipies."

It took a day longer than I had hoped but here are the sausage recipes.

This is straight off the UMAi Dry site.

SOPPRESSATA
2 ½ pounds of Pork shoulder and 2 ½ pounds lean beef
Salt 63.5 g
InstaCure #2 5.7 g
Powdered dextrose 27.3 g
Black pepper 4.6 g
Red pepper flakes 2.3 g
Whole peppercorns 2.3 g
Chili powder 2.3 g
Garlic powder 2.3 g
Bactoferm T-SPX Starter Culture 0.273 (dissolve in 2 tbsp of distilled or boiled then cooled water to remove chlorine)

This one came off the Len Poli site but was highly recommended by several reliable sources here in SMF

GINGER SALAMI
5 lb Pork shoulder (2268 g)
1/2 cup Sweet vermouth (125 ml)
2 T Fresh minced garlic (75 g)
7 t Salt (51.3 g)
1/2 cup NFDM** (34.5 g)
4 t Whole black pepper (8.4 g)
1 T Ground ginger (7.2 g)
1 t Cure #2 (5.7 g)
2 t Ground white pepper (4.8 g)
1/4 t T-SPX Starter (Bactoferm) dissolved in 1/4 cup purified or boiled then cooled water (no chlorine)
(**I used the appropriate amount of STPP instead of NFDM)

With both of these I weighed them (in grams for better accuracy) and hung them on an empty lower rod in my master closet for 3 days with a large bowl of water under them. After 3 days, they were hung in the fridge to age. I put together a sheet on Excel to monitor the weights, checked the weight each week, and recorded them. Target loss was 35% of total weight

Hope this helps....
Robert

Looks and sounds wonderful. Nicely done

Point for sure
Chris

Thank you Chris. Very much appreciated. All of these meats were featured on the appetizer plate that was highlighted in my thread about 45 Day Aged Ribeye steak meal. I simply love artisan aged Italian meats!!

Robert

Looks great I need to get on you Sample List

Gary

It all looks good . The ginger salami is so good that's all I make with Umai any more .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky