Advice on wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richp692

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Long Island NY
A buddy of mine works landscaping and dropped off a few logs of hickory and a few cherry. They are green. Should I cut them into chunks before it is seasoned or should I wait until it dries?

If you cut them into Chunks they will cure ( dry ) faster than if you leave them whole. So it really depends on the time frame in which you are looking at to use them.

Me personally, I split all my wood once it is cut into lengths ( I am a stick burner) and then I let it sit for at least 6 months before I use it.

Others will chime in with their advice shortly

Good Luck and you will love both the Hickory and Cherry

Agreed. i cut most my logs into chunks so they will season faster. I split some too for when I want to burn sticks instead. And yes both cherry and hickory are great...I even use a mix of both sometimes.

DITTO with what has been said.Takes longer with winter temps.I chunk up what fits on rack and season rest as logs-out of the weather....

I cut them up and split them and they season much faster that way

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky