Advice on a new grill needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

monkeybutt

Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Central PA
I've been looking at gas grills to replace my well used, 15yr old Weber. It has been flawless and worth every penny. I looked at the new Weber Genesis for a $700 price tag, and I'm sure it's worth every penny as well. Then I saw this Char-Griller Duo which got me thinking. I could retire my old gas grill, and have the best of 3 worlds....a gas grill for quick dinners, a charcoal grill for when I have a little more time (I prefer the taste of charcoal to gas), and add a firebox on the side and I have a small smoker. All for less than half of what the Weber costs. If I even get half as many years out of it as I did my old Weber, it would be worth it. Does anyone have any experience with this unit?

Duo.jpg

The Chargriller will work fine, but don't expect to get 15 years out of it. Webers last because they are built well, which is why I bought a Summit series this year. My opinion, get a Chargriller Pro to smoke and for using charcoal, and get yourself a new Weber gas grill, you'll absolutely get your money's worth.

The new Webers are not built to the same quality level as the one you are seeking to replace. IMO you ought try cleaning it up, and replacing any internal parts (flavorizer bars, igniters, burners etc) that need replacement.

You'll easily get as much life from a cleaned-up old Weber as from one of their newer, chintzier products.

I have seen those grills out there and have a couple of friends that own one. They mostly say that they are a good grill and unquite and all but they are small. Sure you have a charcoal on one side and gas on the other so if thats what you like go for it. I like a grill that I can grill what ever I want too for who ever I want to and some of my smokes or grills are for alot more people then that thing could ever handle. Thats my 2 pennies. you can see my set up and thats not all my grills/smokers

My neighbor just got one. There isn't a lot of cooking surface there and even when he tightened everything up (store assembled) it still seemed kind of flimsy.

I'd personaly steer clear of this, it isn't worth the price being charged.

Get a Traeger and don't look back. I retired my ten year old Weber, well kind of retired, it. It got so lonely after I bought my Traeger 075 that I put it on Craigslist and sold it off to a fella nearby. My wife is going through her adjustment period as I insist on cooking every meal on the Traeger these days, even when it's freezing and snowing out.

Here's a "second" for the Traeger smoker/grill. I've had mine over 3 years and there isn't nothing you can't cook on it!!!!! Even pizza, cookies, and biquits. I use mine all year round, just like this prime rib that I'm doin in the freezing cold and snow. Never had any problems!!!!
tongue.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Here's a third to the Traeger!!
Smoked two pastrami's and 20 pounds of Venison sausage on Sat. Temp. was in the 20's and the snow was falling all day! The Traeger never varied in temp. more than 15 degrees and it was a wonderful experience!
Even left for an hour to go check out a couple of Bucks the boys killed!!
Lots of good eating from the TRAEGER!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I'm wondering if you'd have enough room in the smoker section of that unit. Take you time and research your options. It's all good my friend.

Looked at those in the store and both sides of the cooking area are small(ish), so if you are cooking for 4 or less people you are OK, but large crowds would be a problem. I have the Char-griller smokin pro 800 that I use just for smoking and a weber kettle for my high heat grilling.

I agree with the fix up the old weber comment, you can replace everything for less than it would cost for anything new and have the great grill you are used too.

if the firebox is getting bad, just call Weber, it has a lifetime guarantee, they will send a new one right out. I re-built mine a couple years ago and glad I did.

I also have a pellet grill and in my opinion they are just not made to grill on, great for smoking or roasting but when you want that steak seared at 550, not gonna get it

I agree with coyote.

My Weber is over 20 years old and still working perfectly. All I have replaced in those years were the flavorizer bars and the connection to the propane bottle. Of course I have taken great care of it over the years which helps. It's a great grill and well worth up-grating. Unless it is smashed or physically broken I would re-build. Weber has all the parts you would need.

Good luck, John

In ten+ years I've replaced only the flavorizer bars and igniter. Flavorizers a couple years ago, igniter last year. The burners are still in great shape, as are the original cast-iron grates and every other component. Oh, I also had to replace the thermometer. The old one is still usable, but the new one's more reliable.

It helps that I store the grill in the garage, so it's not taking the abuse of the elements day-in and day-out over the course of a decade. But I use it 3 or 4 times a week, even in winter.

I like my Weber for grillin when I want to grill, my Car-griller for BBQ (hope to upgrade if $$ permits), my Smokey Mountain for smoking, curing and jerking, and hopefully a pit for big overnighters. Not to say you can't have an all in one like that Char-Griller combo, I just like to have the right tool for each job..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky