Adjustable Charcoal Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ghost_smoker

Original poster
Oct 1, 2022
Hey everyone! I came across the burch barrel, and I think it's a cool idea to be able to adjust the charcoal heights. Does anyone have a recommendation for a charcoal grill that could do this? My thought would be for grilling and then shorter smokes (chicken thighs, etc.).

It would be nice if it could be used as a smoker as well as a grill. I'd prefer to use it for at least five years, with a budget of around $500.

I know there is quite a bit of love for Char griller on here, but sounds like those need mods to really hold temp well and evenly.

I was going to suggest Char griller . I ran mine with no mods . Took some attention when smoking , but grilling was great . Love the adjustable grate .

Reactions: MJB05615
Hey everyone! I came across the burch barrel, and I think it's a cool idea to be able to adjust the charcoal heights. Does anyone have a recommendation for a charcoal grill that could do this? My thought would be for grilling and then shorter smokes (chicken thighs, etc.).

It would be nice if it could be used as a smoker as well as a grill. I'd prefer to use it for at least five years, with a budget of around $500.

I know there is quite a bit of love for Char griller on here, but sounds like those need mods to really hold temp well and evenly.
Weber Smokey Mountain. You can use the 2nd grate for charcoal if you want to grill on it. Have had numerous smokers, and I absolutely swear by the versatility and quality of the WSM

Reactions: Colin1230
I love my Char-Griller for grilling. Short smokes work good but they have a lot of leaks to do low and slow. You can find several post I have done with it. Here is my last:

Last edited:
Reactions: MJB05615
I was gonna suggest a Santa Maria grill since raising and lowering the food should have the same effect as raising and lowering the fuel, but it ain't a smoker. Master built has a couple (36" and 30"); I assume the quality is similar to the Char Griller.

I've also been using the Char Griller for a few years and very happy with it. The raising or lowering the Coal Grate is the main reason I got it. I added a Rotisserie earlier this year and absolutely love it. I do not use for long smokes, but shorter smokes it's very good. Grilling and Spinning it's great and very low cost compared to other Brands.

Char-Griller makes good grills. Adjustable charcoal grates are the bees knees.

But their grills are not so great off-set smokers. People typically mod their Char Griller offset smokers for better results smoking.

They've upped their smoker game with the Grand Champ XD. The XD comes with most of the mods made to make it a good smoker. But it's a better smoker than it is a grill. I've got some mods in mind to make the XD smoker a better grill which includes making the charcoal grate adjustable.

But you can still smoke on a grill; lower the charcoal grate to the lowest, make a charcoal snake, and put your meat on the top rack.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky