Adding water and adjusting seasoning for snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wayoutwest

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
Hawaii
Hi, I have a question to regarding added water. I am currently waiting for my 20lb motorized stuffer to arrive and I have done a bunch of snack sticks with my 5lb stuffer. I've read that because it will be a bigger stuffer I will have to add more water so it would flow thru the 3/8 stuffing tube easier. My question is because I will be adding more water then the "1 cup per 5lb ratio" will I have to adjust my seasonings by adding more? Will the water dilute my mix? Thanks

You are better off using the 5# stuffer for sticks...    BUT...  if the piston is the same diameter in the 20# as the 5#, then the pressure should be the same....   Folks have broken larger stuffers because the pressure has to be higher, with a bigger piston, to get the meat through the 3/8 tube...

Adding water is only to mix the cure and seasonings throughout the meat thoroughly.....   If you can get by with less water, it makes better sausage... 

Thanks Dave. Because it's only me that does everything I wanted to do 15lb at once instead of refilling every time. I usually make 20-40lb of sticks at a time. So that's why I asked if by adding more water to a mix to compensate a stuffer, will the added water make the mix bland, or it won't have any affect at all.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky