Absolute Newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

luvgonzo

Original poster
Mar 30, 2021
It would be great if someone can move this if it's in the wrong place.

So I've been BBQing for years using a kettle BBQ and just throwing on coal and self lighting bags but I was never a fan of the taste and felt that there was a lingering taste of the lighting fluid.

So loads of American BBQ programmes about lately and it's always wood and a real art to the cooking so I bought myself a new Weber kettle BBQ and I have a friend who has an unending supply of cherry and Apple wood and vowed to never use coals again.

Great, but I don't get it. So I light the wood but it doesn't have much heat for too long, am I not using enough, should I have the lid on or off? I've had a few attempts and watched some videos but can't seem to get the hang of it.

I'm determined to get it right as when on the odd occasion I managed to cook something through with pure luck the result was excellent.

Thanks for any replies.

You will do better using some charcoal with wood chunks under it
Coal Basket.JPG
For indirect set the coals on the out side of the ring.
Welcome to SMF

Are you talking about smoking with your kettle? If so do a search for minion method or snake method on your kettle. It still requires coal but you get a long low and slow cook out of it and you can mix wood chunks in. If you are tasting the fuel your using to start the charcoal try a charcoal chimney. I have one and just light some of the paper from the charcoal bag under it to get the coals going then dump them in. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone strictly use wood on a kettle just because you would have to keep opening the lid to add more wood to keep it burning.

Welcome to the forums. Using a kettle your gonna have to use charcoal. As others have said use wood chunks/chips for the wood flavor. Get away from the self lighting coals. Get a chimney.
Jim

Ah right so I have to use coals but can avoid the self lighting bags.

Are you talking about smoking with your kettle? If so do a search for minion method or snake method on your kettle. It still requires coal but you get a long low and slow cook out of it and you can mix wood chunks in. If you are tasting the fuel your using to start the charcoal try a charcoal chimney. I have one and just light some of the paper from the charcoal bag under it to get the coals going then dump them in. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone strictly use wood on a kettle just because you would have to keep opening the lid to add more wood to keep it burning.
Yeah that was the issue the wood would run out quickly and It's have to relight.

Might give a mix of wood and coals a go this weekend.

Are supermarket coals okay, does it make much difference?

Most pit masters like Royal Oak charcoal. It is sold under many brand names. Gordon Food Service briquettes are Royal Oak. That is what I mainly use. Some folks swear by Kingsford but I just don't like the Kingsford taste.

You can use lump or briquette. Briquettes are easier to use and more predictable.

JC :emoji_cat:

Yeah that was the issue the wood would run out quickly and It's have to relight.

Might give a mix of wood and coals a go this weekend.

yes for a kettle the main fuel should be charcoal, and toss on a couple wood chunks for the flavor. You can do prettt much whatever you want with a kettle (grill or smoke). The charcoal chimney can be bought for about $25 if that. I’d recommend the Weber. I’ve used mine probably 300+ times and all I’ve had to do was replace the top rivet in the handle, although it’s showing signs it will need to be replaced after this year. Here is how I set mine yo for low and slow. The pic isn’t mine but same concept. I’ll set the grill up like this and light about 10-15 coals in my chimney and when they are burning hot. I’ll dump them on at the beginning of the snake to start it. A full snake like the pic would probably give you 8+ hours
F6013F52-0CA6-4E6E-8015-68EC6229D051.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky