A5 Wagyu Tendeeloin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
Scored some A5 Wagyu tenderloin from Kagoshima Farms in Japan known as the rarest steak in the world. I’m gonna have it with the wife tomorrow night, need an escape from this quarantine reality. Did a lot of research and talked to the guy who sold it to me. This is the most amazing piece of beef I’ve ever seen. I mean the intramuscular fat - unreal. I’m gonna use a Soud vide at 129 with a hard sear after. Went back and forth and that or just a CI pan but settled on SV. Gonna cut it very thin. I can eat my fair share of beef, but all indication is this so incredibly rich you only want a couple oz’s per person cut super thin so that’s what we’ll do - recommended with a touch of wasabi, although atypical I’ll give it a shot for this special cook. Gonna have a couple small Lobster tails and then a Soud vide cheesecake I made today. Can’t wait. Pics tomorrow.

FA9C1C57-4B01-4B39-AFA2-3E848417EA10.jpeg
D6F296ED-D1A4-4E67-8FC7-CA4DCD423AEA.jpeg

That sure is pretty and best of luck getting it perfect and not over or under cooked for your taste.
I have to agree. Too much fat can get overwhelming, for me at least.
I once made a Pork Butt that came out of the oven with a Fat Cap that was covered in rub, about 90% rendered, a beautiful brown color and as crisp as Bacon! The flavor was out of this world. I lifted the Crispy Fat Cap off and broke it into bite-sized pieces. I ate one piece after another as I pulled, seasoned the Pork and finished cooking supper. As I sat down at the table, I started to sweat, felt dizzy and got very sick. I'm convinced, no matter how delicious, too much fat, in one sitting, will ruin your meal...JJ

Chef Jimmy's story reminded me of one of my own. The setting was an upper grade restaurant. I was 7 - 9 years old at the time. It was after I made a comment on the meals prices, I remember my father saying, "If your looking at the right side of the menu, your in the wrong restaurant". So I decided to order the filet Mignon. Mind you my only experience with this meat to date was a Yogi Bear catoon where he put ketchup in a Filip Mcnauty ...... Dad looked at me and said "go for it" Medium rare and perfect, Oh that succulent taste of prime beef tenderloin! I was about half way through this decadent meal I started to feel....Off, Then the meat sweats followed by me saying, Yes I did, "I think I am going to be sick" That was my first lesson on the richness of a good cut of beef!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Looks beautiful! I’d eat it just like that. Lol

I almost pulled the trigger on some the other day but got scolded by the better half. I’ll have to wait til she goes out of town to order.

Well as promised here’s some picture of the meal. Cooked about 4oz of the A5, hard sear on all sides and covered tight for 10 minutes. It came out perfectly - between rare to medium rare. Served with a tad of wasabi and a sprinkle of flor de sal. No oil in the CI needed, after sitting at room temp for 30 minutes the intramuscular fat was rendering on the cutting board - never seen anything like it .
C01E130B-895C-41E6-9F29-2F2642E11249.jpeg
C9E459D4-77DD-4BBF-9579-004566F8EADF.jpeg

Verdict - it was a unique experience. It melted on your tongue like warm butter - but literally. Very little chew, incredibly rich. I have around 12oz left so will do tapas style again a couple times. Would I buy again - no. Was the experience worth it - yes. You only live once.

Also did a couple 6oz Maine lobsters. Did them Sous vide for the first time. Used a bag l, water displacement method. With a few pats of butter and some parsley. Cooked at 138 for an hour, served in clarified butter
213C7B76-D23A-489F-ADF1-9D418F041C21.jpeg
9D4E03EF-3761-46BF-9AA3-847AE8F4A3AB.jpeg

Verdict - so easy in the Soud vide, will do again. Was a little softer than I’d prefer so next time for tails this small I’ll probably go at a lower temp.

Next up - Sous vide cheesecake. Toped it with a strawberry reduction and crumbled up some graham cracker.
0F5CF167-96EF-4152-B460-B4C3E3F716F8.jpeg

Verdict - this was the star of the night, and that’s saying something. My daughter helped me make it the day before. Again, the Sous vide made it easy and fool proof. Love my Joule.

Overall quite the meal. A couple old fashioned’s during the cook and then me and the wife put down a couple bottles of wine as we snacked on the beef and lobster, finished with the cheesecake with the kids and introduced them to Beastie Boys - documentary just came out so was on my mind. Gotta stay sane in this crazy time, so was a good change up meal.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: fullborebbq
Outstanding! My B-day is in June. After seeing this I ran a purchase by my Accountant. She said we need to discuss further. I will likely need to feed seven adults. How much beef would you suggest to purchase?...JJ

So we had lobster and the Sous vide dessert so I was very conservative with the beef, figured first time I’d take it easy in case I butchered it. Next time I do it I’ll do 4-6oz’s for myself - I think that would be about right. I’ll tell you what l - get your exhaust going or windows cause you can imagine when those things hit the pan. And I highly recommend the wasabi, cuts the richness, was surprised how much I enjoyed the combination.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky