A Quick Chucky Question...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I would say 150 is a little low for chuck maybe 165-170 for slicing, 195-205 for shredding, i'm sure some of the real pro's will be around though.

Reactions: jcam222
I wouldn't cook a chuck roast to 150 unless it was Sous Vide for 48+ hours. You can braise it, or BBQ with dry heat until it is tender. In those cases, don't worry about the internal temp - just cook till tender.

Reactions: chopsaw
I wouldn't cook a chuck roast to 150 unless it was Sous Vide for 48+ hours. You can braise it, or BBQ with dry heat until it is tender. In those cases, don't worry about the internal temp - just cook till tender.

The last chuck I did I braised. This time, however, I don't have to time to do that. I'll go out and remove the water pan right now, Chucky is on 70F.

I just now seemed to remember that is you don't braise a chuck it will be too dry.

Nope, chuck has plenty of fat and connective tissue so it will stay moist.

I'll go out and remove the water pan right now, Chucky is on 70F.

Not sure what kind of smoker you are using, but having a water pan in the smoker is not the same as braising. With braising the meat is cooked IN the liquid.

If you are in a hurry, set the smoker at 275 till the IT is 155ish then l wrap it tight with double layer of foil then put back on at 295 till IT is 180 plus for slicing and 195+ for pulling. 3-4 hours total +\- for a 1.5 inch chuck. I’ve done it many a time this way!

You can also use a braising pan....be sure to boil the liquid before so it doesn’t cool the meat. Cover the braising pan with foil so no evaporation.

Wrapping will be the fastest cause it stops the evaporative cooking process immediately, braising is only slightly behind wrapping cause the open volume needs to get to equilibrium before the evaporative cooling process is halted.

Last edited:
Reactions: SherryT
Nope, chuck has plenty of fat and connective tissue so it will stay moist.

Not sure what kind of smoker you are using, but having a water pan in the smoker is not the same as braising. With braising the meat is cooked IN the liquid.

Yeah, but

If you are in a hurry, set the smoker at 275 till the IT is 155ish then l wrap it tight with double layer of foil then put back on at 295 till IT is 180 plus for slicing and 195+ for pulling. 3-4 hours total +\- for a 1.5 inch chuck. I’ve done it many a time this way!

You can also use a braising pan....be sure to boil the liquid before so it doesn’t cool the meat. Cover the braising pan with foil so no evaporation.

Wrapping will be the fastest cause it stops the evaporative cooking process immediately, braising is only slightly behind wrapping cause the open volume needs to get to equilibrium before the evaporative cooling process is halted.

I have big chuck. It's about 8 x 8 x 4

No worries, it may take 4 -5 hours instead of 3-4.

275 wont hurt the chuck....I do it all the time this way....my rule of thumb is 275 and wrap cuts cooking time at 225 in half. Ie a 16 to 18 hour brisket....goes to a 8 to 9 hour brisket....still 10 times better than restaurant.

And for a big FYI most resultants only braise chuck at 375 to 425 for 3-4 hours.

You could slice at 150°, but it'll be like chewing bubble gum.

Of course there are means to an end.
I've cooked small Chuck's as steaks to 145°, but with the caveat that before cooking I double tenderized via a marinade and dry brine.

Your best bets are to follow the recommendations already given to you.
civilsmoker civilsmoker has you well in hand, take his advice.
Cook to 180°-185° for slicing.
Be sure to probe for tenderness, it'll be okay with slight resistance.
Cooking Hot-n-Fast is a great method.
Wrapping or Braising are good to go too for further hastening of the cook.

Last edited:
Reactions: civilsmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky