A New Build: 24x30 Vertical Offset - A Custom Build For JLeonard!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
PS Red……I know you are all smiles today but wait till you see the vertical CC in action…..you are going to have a grinch size smile……might even be trying to explain to Jim how you lost the smoker in the fire and he will just have to wait for another one to be built…..lol

Last edited:
Very cool, always fun to see the first burn

Thanks! Agreed...it was pretty gratifying to see blue smoke rolling!

You hear that? That's Jim jumping up and down with giddyness! :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

:emoji_sweat_smile: :emoji_sweat_smile:

Beautiful!

Thanks Civil!

Rumor has it not to accept checks from Jim!

LMAO! No worries here - Jim is paid in full!

But I make no claims about any checks he writes from this point on...:emoji_wink:

Excellent results now just
waiting on the paint scheme.
Frames? Cartoon characters?

Keith

LOL! I wish I was talented enough to do something like that! I'm a better welder than I am a painter...and I'm barely an amateur welder LOL!

Paint job will be flat black...

Those temps that close are fantastic. Are the River Country therms calibratable, not that it would be needed?

Thank you sir! I was very pleased to see them so close. The RC therms are not calibratable...but if they stay consistent, that's the main thing.

Awesome work. I believe that’s a successful first burn to me also. Sounds very easy to get to temp and easily adjusted if needed.

Thanks man!

Red

PS Red……I know you are all smiles today but wait till you see the vertical CC in action…..you are going to have a grinch size smile……might even be trying to explain to Jim how you lost the smoker in the fire and he will just have to wait for another one to be built…..lol

I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes! My hope is, I won't need another air vent in the side of the cabinet to feed more air to that CC coal basket. If it gets enough air from the FB, I'll be prepping if for paint by Thursday!

Red

I knew it was going to be a success all along... I had faith in the ole boy...

seenred seenred ... "YOU DA MAN"

Pssst.. Don't tell Jim... but I'll be there Saturday to make it suddenly disappear .... Doesn't even need to be painted...

You are too kind Keith - thank you Sir!

LOL I hate to think what that'd do to Jim...he's pretty excited about coming for it!

Red

Reactions: JLeonard
I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes! My hope is, I won't need another air vent in the side of the cabinet to feed more air to that CC coal basket. If it gets enough air from the FB, I'll be prepping if for paint by Thursday!

Red
Air is air and in fact drawing it from the FB will even it out and even make VCC cooking almost wind proof as well.

Red
If it needs another vent just tell Jim to take the same route he does to work... they could put more vent holes in it! Thus why he wants to move.

Ryan

If it needs another vent just tell Jim to take the same route he does to work... they could put more vent holes in it! Thus why he wants to move.

Ryan

Extra holes in the smoker would be ok...extra holes in Jim - NOT OK.

I'll go ahead and make sure it has all the holes it needs before he takes it home LOL! :emoji_wink:

Red

Reactions: JLeonard
Rumor has it not to accept checks from Jim!
Hey now! dang it Jake…..was hoping he wouldnt notice til I was out of the driveway that the check was post dated for 2025!
You hear that? That's Jim jumping up and down with giddyness! :emoji_laughing:

Ryan
Gonna quote someone on here…. I just need to roll over, smoke a cig, and take a nap!
man that TBS looks so good rolling out of there. And if Joel says it’s good, it’s great to me! And love it being thst close in temps between racks. figuring the bottom rack will be hotter and will be great for chicken and etc.
Got my bag packed and sitting on go to get to Oklahoma!

Jim

Looks fantastic Red. It's a real beauty.

Chris

Thanks Chris!

Another work of Art, sorry I mean Joel. Well done sir. Both Jim and you must be very happy.

Now does this make Ryan Brokenhandle Brokenhandle and Jim JLeonard JLeonard related to each other and your offspring's by way of smokers.

Just saying , or just asking :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_sunglasses:

David

LOL! Gettin deep in here again! :emoji_wink: :emoji_sweat_smile:

Thanks for the kind words David!

Well I do think of Brokenhandle Brokenhandle as a brother.....So I guess the offspring of Joel just makes it more so! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

Jim

:emoji_sweat_smile::emoji_sweat_smile:

Red

Test burn - Round 2!

It rained here all morning, so I wasn't able to get Jim's smoker out of the shop and fire it up until after 11:00.

Today's objective: build a fire in the CC coal basket and see how it draws and how hot it'll get.

Started with a big chimney full of lump coal.

img153.jpg

I opened up the FB door, and both dampers wide open.

img154.jpg

After a few minutes, the coal was nice and hot so I spread it out a bit and ran it under the lowest grate for a few minutes. Forgot to take a pic, but that grate got screaming hot in just a few minutes - over *600.

img155.jpg

So next, I pulled the lowest grate out and threw a couple of half-splits on the coals.

img156.jpg

This is the top thermometer, which is maybe 12-15" above the coal bed. The temp cruised up to *400 in just a few minutes.

img157.jpg

And finally plateaued and stayed at 450*. I figure the temps on the lower grate was easily in the *700 range by this time.

img158.jpg

So 2nd test burn is a success! The pit is still too hot to work on it now, but either later today, or certainly by tomorrow morning, I'm gonna get it ready to paint. Barring setbacks, I really think it'll be ready to go home with Jim by the weekend!

I'll post a final update when I get it painted!

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky