A few quick questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

levifunk

Original poster
Apr 14, 2021
What type of cedar is preferred? I remember reading someone saying that one varietal was better than another, but can't find that post again.

What is the science of the exhaust pipe? I see some smoke houses have the exhaust coming out the bottom and a long pipe up, while others have an exhaust simply out the roof.

Has anyone used cork as insulation in their smokehouse? I am considering using ~1/2" cork underlayment board as insulation between an interior and exterior layer of cedar tongue & groove siding. Naturally fire retardant and zero added formaldehyde/VOC's.

Reactions: JLeonard
In my opinion skip the cork. if you want to add insulation fiberglass bat is ok.
In my area white cedar is more neutral

What type of cedar is preferred? I remember reading someone saying that one varietal was better than another, but can't find that post again.

What is the science of the exhaust pipe? I see some smoke houses have the exhaust coming out the bottom and a long pipe up, while others have an exhaust simply out the roof.

Has anyone used cork as insulation in their smokehouse? I am considering using ~1/2" cork underlayment board as insulation between an interior and exterior layer of cedar tongue & groove siding. Naturally fire retardant and zero added formaldehyde/VOC's.
Western red cedar, I suppose. I built mine out of CDX plywood. It’s all black inside now.
as far as venting, intake should be low as possible and exhaust high as possible. I exhausted mine at the top of the back wall, not the roof. Don’t over think the project.

Backwall or sidewall exhaust is the better option I think so don't get things dripping back down when heated up.
I also just lined mine with plywood.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I planned to put a chimney in my smokehouse but with my less than perfect carpentry skills I managed to make a smokehouse that has an intake and exhaust built in. It just goes through the “cracks”...
I used one inch styrofoam boards (x3) for insulating my smokehouse and the inside is 3/8” plywood. Highest temp I have had was 265.

My thought with the cork board as insulation is that it would help reach higher temp and would make this more of a dual use hot and cold smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky