2nd smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

debbie1105

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Rochester area, upstate NY
OK.  So, I'm a relative newbie at smoking but am definitely hooked.  So much so that I think I'm going to be buying a second smoker.  My first (and only) smoker is an MES30 analog.  It is sitting on my deck at home.  And here I am at my weekend place with 8 lbs. of prepped/marinated beef ready for jerky.

I had asked some neighbors to borrow their smoker (MES, but not sure what model)  this weekend so I could be here without my own smoker and still make jerky.  I know they're jerky fans so even offered to share the bounty.  Well...Saturday is more than half over and I haven't seen that smoker.  Guy's a fisherman and went out early this morning.  Got back a couple hours ago but still no smoker in sight.  I'm frustrated.  8 lbs. of meat in vacuum bags.  Just need the racks & a smoker to put them in.

So...it won't be this weekend (because even I'm not THAT impulsive) but I see a second smoker in my near future.  Question is what one.  I don't have a ton of money to spend.  Want electric for the ability to set it and (pretty much) forget it.  My MES30 is easy (which I like) and has a pretty good temp range (which I also like).  Down sides are a) very little smoke at lower temps.  b) small capacity.

Looking for recommendations. 

Thanks.

Deb

From my understanding, any electric smoker will have problems with producing smoke at lower temps. You need the heat to produce the smoke and at lower temps the element just isn't going to produce it. That's the reason so many electric smoker owners supplement with AMNS or AMNPS. Unless there's an electric smoker out there that I haven't come across yet that will produce smoke at lower temps.

Someone gave me an electric Brinkmann a few years ago, i agree with the above reply.It took FOREVER to smoke anything. I used it once or twice to see if it was any good and gave it away to my neighbor.

My advice would be to stick with the MES either 30 or 40 I have had both. I personally like the 40 for the added room. But I think you will find for the money the MES 40 for the money is a tuff elec smoker to beat at 299 ( at SAMs ). Just my opinion though. Hope it helps

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky