2nd build, smaller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigfork

Original poster
Greetings Forum!

Well my giant smoker kicks butt! See other build threads by myself (if interested...). The only negative is it's size. It will gobble 1.5 bags of bbq charcoal over the period of 7 hours. With a 10,048 cu in CC, I can feed a crowd of 5-10. It's amazing but crazy overkill the majority of the time. On the bright side, I can do a summer's worth of jerky in one sitting:emoji_wink:.

Enter my 2nd build. Smaller, more efficient for wife, kid, and myself. Less charcoal, less work.
The picture shows the first test fire. It obviously needs a rolling stand (tripod style), a sandblast, and a finish paint.
Here's my numbers:
FB 12x12 cylinder
CC 18x14.5 cylinder (it's a little smaller than the recommended FB to CC ratio. I'm not worried about it. Slightly small is better than too big)

I used the Feldon's Pit Calculator to conjure up my numbers.
So the results: The thing rocks! Much less coals to keep steady temps. I do have one question for the community. The calculator said if I use 2" tube stock for chimney, it needs to be 23 (or so) inches long. You can see the chimney in the pic. So during my test fire yesterday, I was achieving proper temps (pushed it to 350F) but at all temps, there is a large amount of smoke sneaking out around the door to the CC. The door is the best 'sealed' door I've done on a smoker, very tight fitting with ban-saw blade as seal overlap. The door fits as good as one can without being watertight. I have the funny feeling the 90 degree turn in the chimney and the 2" dia are too constricting to the chimney out-flow (??) The chimney is offset from CC centerline with the idea that I could add a second one next to it... like a double barrel shotgun. I could then dampen the exit(s) if it is too much out-flow.

What do you think?
If the CC is constantly leaking smoke out of the door, is chimney flow the logical issue? Should I add a second 2" stack?

thanks for the comments!!
cheers.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3246.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3246.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: kruizer
If the CC is constantly leaking smoke out of the door, is chimney flow the logical issue? Should I add a second 2" stack?

I'd add a 2nd stack or just go with a single bigger diameter stack A bit of smoke leaking is no big thing. But if it's annoying- you need a bit more draw. Feldon's is not the end all - be all. But it is a good starting place.

Greetings forum,
so I did indeed add a second 2" stack of the same length. The first one was offset from center...I had the suspicion I'd need another. Now it's a double barrel stack which actually looks kinda cool! I like it. While I was at it, I cut a second 'air in' on the FB door.

I've used it 3x since then and couldn't be more pleased! The little thing rocks! holds a steady 220-230 for almost 2.5 hrs before it needs a coal re-load. The following Q pics were in for 7 hours. It's hared to see, but the smoke penetration on the pork loin is all but a dime size circle in the very middle.

Thanks for the feedback!
cheers.

Attachments

• Double Barrel Darrel.jpg
    Double Barrel Darrel.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Q view LRF 2.jpg
    Q view LRF 2.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 30
  • thumbnail_IMG_3246.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3246.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 31
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky