250 Gallon Smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Michael Hornbeck

Original poster
Feb 13, 2018
I have begun preparation on a 250 gallon propane tank to turn it into a great smoker for large cooks like the wedding I was asked to provide brisket and pulled pork for. I currently have a Kamado Joe - Big Joe that I love to cook on and first cut my teeth on an UDS and Weber kettle. I was wondering if someone could look over my calculations and help determine if they are accurate.

Last edited:
I have calculated actual volume to be 283 gallons. Now I am assuming my CC half moon cut is made when the diameter of the lower chamber is 26.791 inches and is 8.25 inches from the bottom. Are these correct assumptions? Thanks in advance for any help!

I used the build calculations link from SMF posted in many threads on this forum because I read where it included a tweak to other calcs specifically for reverse flow. My plan was to make the FB cut first then the doors, for two reasons. 1.) The warping that can occur on the doors when cutting/welding the FB and 2.) placing the bottom of the door opening at the proper level. I must admit I am a little timid to make the first cut until I am persuaded that my numbers and rationale are correct. Thanks for your input.

Reactions: bigoleboy
I cut my firebox hole and built the supports for the tank first, that helped a lot when it came time to cut the front doors. I had a 200 gallon oil tank though, a lot thinner steel and oval shape. When I cut the top door (from the rounded portion of the oval, it took me two days to get the tank back into square. The more you can do to reduce the tank shifting (like cutting the FB opening first), the better off you should be.

I've only ever built one of these, but I did learn a lot...

Thanks for the reply. I just cut one end off the 250 Gallon propane tank with a plasma cutter after breaking three cutting disks, at least now I have a fire pit! It was my first time with a plasma and I learned a lot just on that portion. I have the tank situated on the trailer and am about to weld some legs on to the steel frame of the trailer. I need to go buy some 1/4" plate, just got the price of $170 a sheet.....yikes! Gonna hit the salvage yard and see if they have any first.

Pics to follow!

Did you cut your tank full of water? How did your half moon measurement turn out ..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky