200 litre / 53 gallon Tank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wet Spaniel

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 10, 2017
Hi folks, very long time lurker here based in the UK. I'm looking to build my first smoker however, we don't seem to have access to the variety of sizes and shapes of tanks that you guys in the US do. I've seen a 200litre/53 us gallon tank for sale fairly locally that measures approximately 57' x 18'. This seemed fairly long and thin to me (in my practically zero knowledge) but as tanks are few and far between, I'd be keen to buy it if it would make a decent smoker. I'd appreciate any input on if these dimensions would make an effective RF smoker?

Thanks in advance

Why don't you try and build something that looks like this instead of a round offset

Long skinny tanks are not favorable because airflow isn't good.

Thanks. Would it fare any better as a regular offset? It would be my first foray into fabrication so I'm happy to have an experiment.

Why don't you try and build something that looks like this instead of a round offset
Thank you, I had considered doing something similar - I'm brand new to welding/metal fabrication so was trying to keep things as simple as possible.

Attachments

• 52A5232C-571F-496B-BE1F-751C4620C6E7.jpeg
    52A5232C-571F-496B-BE1F-751C4620C6E7.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 38
Check this out if you haven't already.

Thank you - yes, I've been reading through the info - it's incredibly useful. A little bit challenging for a a brit more used to cm than inches but I'm getting there!

Thanks for all the feedback. I picked up the cylinder a few days ago for the equivalent of about $50. as this is my first foray into fabricating anything like this and it's not as big as I would have likes. I think I'll make it into an offset rather than reverse flow. I'll move my progress across to the relevant forum section as and when I get started.

Hi Wet Spaniel! I’m in the UK too and had similar issues finding a larger capacity tank.
Mine is 46”X15” compressor tank, I’m still gambling on RF build, Davomak gave some great calculations and adjustments due to the narrow CC.
Basically to make it draw I’m having to use a 36”X 6” diameter stack- it’s bloody massive! Fingers crossed it works.🤞🏽
Good luck with your build and let me know how you’re getting on 👍🏽

Reactions: Wet Spaniel
Hi Blakus, sorry - I've not been around much and not spotted your reply. Good to hear from another UK based smoker. I've literally just got round to relocating a cooker socket suitable of running my welder so I've eventually made a start on cleaning up my tank and giving myself some welding lessons. I'm going to go with @unclebubbasbbq suggestion and use 1/3 of my cylinder for the firebox.

Reactions: Blakus
Long skinny tanks are not favorable because airflow isn't good.

On a reverse flow, probably so. On a conventional offset, if it has the right height stack the air flow would be stronger.

Horizon has trouble with air flow in their 16" conventional offset. But they don't do anything on stack end to increase air flow. If the exhaust was at grate level, it had a collector, and a taller stack it would have stronger air flow. But they don't build their cookers for air flow. They build bottom up cookers.

Think of air flow through the cooker like a river. If a river narrows or becomes shallower, the water flow speeds up.

On my Franklin offset, the stack is 4 to 5" diameter. Franklin made the stack taller instead of wider to get stronger pull through the cooker.

Everything about the Franklin offset is designed for optimum air flow.

He also kept the cook chamber at 20" instead of 24" like most of these copy cats are doing. If he thought 24 was better for air flow, he would've made it 24.

But a reverse flow is a whole nother animal that I'm not familiar with. The stack has to pull that air a long way.

Reactions: Wet Spaniel
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky