2 day smoke -- need help with Smoking Time estimates

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jjp2

Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Cape Coral FL
Here's the plan....

Dinner tonight - 7 lbs of boneless pork ribs, about 1/2 lb each, EST 2 hrs?

Tommorrow for 3 pm meal
1 12lb brisket - EST 19 hrs if alone
1 10.7 lb brisket - EST 17 hrs if alone
1 6.6 lb brisket (point from the last time I did brisket) - EST 10 1/2 hrs if alone.

All this will be going in the smoker today. I plan to have leftovers. Can't see not filling the smoker because last time the 7 lb brisket was awesome and didn't go far (1 meal and a sandwich which ticked me off).

do the estimates look okay?
any thoughts on if I should allow extra time?
thoughts on what wood? I have hickory, apple, cherry and maybe maple (arriving sometime today).
would it be better to use a cooler or oven set at 170 for my warmer tomorrow?
how long can I keep the brisket hot in wrapped in foil, towels in a cooler?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

What temp and what kind of smoker do you have ? Is it a stick burner , charcoal , watt burner or nuke ?

On my WSM it took a little more than 10 hours for brisket (full packer), I use hickory, I like the taste. The last time I smoked a brisket I pulled it off when it hit 180, about 10.3 hours and then wrapped in foil and put in cooler to rest. Took it out 4 hours later and it was still smokin' hot. I did 2 briskets that smoke, so I'd have some leftover.

Well I see you have a big block so you should be able to lay all the briskets down and you should have enough shevles to accomadate all the briskets too. Now for your time I would say planning on about maybe 18-20 hours for all of them if you can fit them. But that is a maybe, a guess, a ballpark but I might leave a little more time for the stall and the cooler time. After all you cann't be late but you can be earlier and the meat can stay in the cooler for a handful of hours.

I usually start with 1.5 hours per pound for all meats (except ribs whicn I figure 6 hours for) then I add about 4 hours or so.
I like to have a good cushion of time in case there is an ugly stall and you can keep the meat wrapped in toewls in a dry cooler for hours and it will stay piping hot. Just keep an eye on your temps while it's in the cooler so it doesn't go below 140.
Good luck, I am interested in the boneless ribs....

Ribs finished at 7:15 pm ... so much for the 2 hours. Flavor was good, inside tender, outside tough. They were very lean so that might have caused it.

http://s768.photobucket.com/albums/...03-05 Smoke/?action=view&current=DSCN2166.jpg

Brisket finished at 9 am. No pictures yet, had to wrap and cooler it as it needs to keep to 3 pm. It went on right around 3 pm yesterdays, so that was the 17 hrs estimated. Should have held it until 6 or 7 pm but didn't know how it would cook with a full smoker. If I had held it, it would have needed the 20-24 hrs and I would have been up the creek (hamburgers and hotdogs). The 1/2 brisket went on at 6 am so it should be ready around 2pm.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky