2-2-1 always fall off the bone?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bnb

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Valencia, CA
Hi All,

Last weekend I wanted to try 2-2-1 with some babybacks my wife picked up and they were tasty but were "fall off the bone" tender to the point when I tried to get them off the smoker some of the bones fell into the water dish lol.

My electric brinkman was running between 230 and 260 (hot day) and I just wanted to know if this is normal doing them the 2-2-1 method?

I just did some beef and baby back last night and they were great but I have shortened the time foiled by about 45 minutes so they were in the foil for 45 minutes and they were really good and had a little tug to them just the way I like them.

I usually hold my smoker around 225-250 and do 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 to a T and they always come out great Never fall off the bone but very tender. If you like them to be less fall off the bone just don't leave them in the foil as long. Some like them fall off the bone and some want more tug. Its all about what you like.

I found found through much trial and error that I realy like it best when I cook the ribs entirely unfoiled. Then right when I pull them off of the smoker, I foil them and pop them into the cooler for about 1 to 2 hours (fill the dead space in the cooler with old towels). They come out with a nice tug, bark is not hard or mushy, and they still come off the bone cleanly.

What he said.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I've found that on my UDS, about 2-1.5-1 at around 240ish works really well for a rib that has a little tug and can be sliced without falling apart. Notice I said "about" and "ish". Too many variables involved to give specific, exact times.
biggrin.gif

Also, don't be afraid to open the foil (carefully) and peek. Grab a bone and twist or lift the rack with tongs. If they bend almost at a 90° angle or want to pull apart, unfoil them and lst them firm up. It's going to be a little different on each person's smoker depending on how steady the temp was and can depend on the ribs themselves too.

Dave

I did spare ribs last night 2-2-0 @250-300 on my new Char-griller. As soon as the 4th hour was up the racks were falling apart. (meat coming off the bone) Me no likely!!
Next time it will be 2-1-1 or just 3.5 - 4 hours total without foil. I don't think ribs need more than 4 hours! But that's just me.

From what I have found, it also matters how much liquid you put in the foil with the ribs. But if you haven't put any liquid in the foil, never mind
icon_wink.gif

The 3-2-1 and 2-2-1 are a general guideline and are figured with a smoker temp of 225. Its a very good starting point to tell people but generally we also tell them to adjust times to your personal preferences. Once people smoke them a couple times they can usually start figuring out what they want to do different. I did some baby backs today and did them at 225 I did a 2:15-1:15-1:15 and for a change of pace I added some cinnamon to my rub and brushed on some sauce for the last 1/2 hour. The ribs had a nice bend but didn't fall of the bone and the family picked up on the hint of cinnamon. I must have done something right my 4 year old granddaughter ate 3 ribs by herself
biggrin.gif

I did my first attempt at Baby Backs a couple of weeks ago and with my smoker temp around 250 I used the 2-1-1 method and they turned out really well for tenderness and moisture. I did 2 racks and on 1 I used Lotta Bull's All purpose rub and the other I used Cowtown's All purpose rub. In the foil I put apple juice in it. For the last 15 minutes of the cook I sauced with Oklahoma Joe's BBQ sauce. Taste wise they were both very good but the Lotta Bull rub has a little more spice to it and I liked it better. But, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

As far as times go, for me it really depends on the amount of pullback during the smoking period. I try to stay close to the 3 hour mark, but lately I've been smoking around 4-4.5 hours because pullback hasn't been as substantial as I feel it should, then foiling for less time but at a slightly higher heat. The longer smoke times also put the smoke ring throughout the entire rib, which is how I love 'em! I've also been finishing them on my regular propane grill just to firm up the outside more, I also don't sauce them til the last 10 mins, which is on the grill, so that the sauce will caramelize a bit. Firming up the outside at the end is key, otherwise after the foil they will be too mushy which is NOT good eats!

I love my ribs to fall off the bone! 
drool.gif
 Makes be drool just thinking about it.  I'll be make my first bb ribs later this week and hope to get the taste I like.  I'll be trying the 2-2-1 for my first try.  Good luck on your next batch.  With all the help on this fourm, I'm sure you'll get them just the way you like them!

Linda

i didn't make through all the replies but when i was foiling i found it to be less than 2 hr in the foil. I did a few trial shrinking the number down and i think 60 -90 was more of the range i needed.

however, i have also moved away from foiling because i have been doing 6 or more racks at time and that is just too much work for  slow cooking! lol. however watching the BBQpitmaster, they all seam to foil. so maybe i will go back to that as most chicago people like it mushy

i would say at 260 you need to reduce the foil time. maybe knock off an a 30 min block of time.

I now do mine as 3 -1-1 so I still have a little tug - I have had them fall apart too.  I do add some foiling liquid so that may be the reason

is foiling required or just personal preference...i.e can i smoke BB's for 4 hrs at 220, then add sauce sauce for another .5? 
not at all. many people on here don't foil the ribs including me. I was foiling when i first started making ribs because it was kind of fool proof. now that i am really learning how to tell when they are done right in the smoker.   the biggest part about not foiling is telling when they are done. times and temps are guide lines. 4 hr is a good benchmark but if you temps are a littel higher say 250 that day maybe 3.5 hr and then sauce.

do a search on here about the "Bend test" lots of good info and works well. I personally started doing a toothpick test. it tacking a little practice and not as easy right off the bat as a bend test but i have a tendency to do 6 or so racks at a time. making the bend test impractical. 

I'm starting to like the toothpick test for ribs. it gives me a very positive feel for ribs. I normally a sight guy when grilling but i just don't like the bend test as much. well anyway probably too much rambling here. i hope it helps some.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky