1st Smoke on the new Chargrill SFB smoker.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gators2000

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
West Central Florida
I posted up last week that I just got my first smoker.  This weekend, I got the pleasure of cooking for 17 adults and some kids.  Decided to to 3 nice size rack of baby backs, 2 whole chickens (quartered) and a small pork loin.  I was a bit stressed when things got started as I had never used this smoker and really never even smoked much at all.  The guest all had high expectations.  

Put a rub on the BB's the night before and marinated the chicken in a modified Mojo sauce (and other stuff).  Fired up the smoker at about 9:30 am and the BB's were on by 10:10.  Learned my first lesson shortly there after...  I used WAY too much lit charcoal.  Quickly, the temp shot to 350 and I was panicking to cool it off.  I finally just scooped half the lit coals out of the fire box and that did the trick. From them on, I was able to maintain between 225 and 250 ish.  

91d032a8_Smoker.jpg

Used the 2-2-1 method for the baby backs and the chicken took about 2 1/2 ish hours to reach temp.  All came out VERY good and lots of compliments came.  This was a good learning lesson and I feel I definitely "jumped right in" with the amount of guests and food.  Though all turned out very good, I think next time will be much more relaxing and enjoyable.  My camera broke when I started the grill so I only have a pic from my wife's phone of the BB's.  Forgot to snap one when it was full of Chicken too.

Thanks for all the advice on the other threads.

dfb8dcb0_BBs.jpg

congrats !! i have the same smoker and have found that with a charcoal basket and simply flipping over the smoking chamber's ash pan to use as a baffle i can easily manage 225..however every smoker is different..good luck bud

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky