1st Canadian bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
ive got my 1st Canadian bacon going today. Following Bears recipe, and it has been a doozy of a cook to this point. The weather is awful, and my smoke thermometer decided to flake out on my for the first time.

Nevertheless, I’m two hours in, and things are rolling steadily along, despite the setback. Temps are holding steady at 150, with charcoal for my heat source, and pitmasters choice in a 12” tube as my smoke source. All of which is in the firebox of my Lang 36. My plan is 8 hrs @150, then 2 hrs @170 & 2 hrs @190 w goal internal being 145 upon completion.

My loin dry cured for about 16 days give or take. I had too much bacon going to focus on it. So I took it from the cure Wednesday night, and it’s been on racks in the fridge since then. Formed a nice pellicle, and I’ve got a generous coating of CBP, garlic powder and onion powder. Here are a few pics I’ve taken along the way.

7C11F419-9D0C-4C86-AD60-443C0197951E.jpeg
Right after a rinse and dry from the cure.

45CE0983-BA91-4D0A-9B91-C3E495A85FF4.jpeg
This morning, after a few days drying in the fridge.

CB0AEAF6-05E7-4202-95E2-D78A1D0ACECE.jpeg
2 hrs in, already taking on a nice color.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Looks like a great start, I'm tuned in.

Chris

Do you plan to cook to a safe IT? Just curious, I just did some Canadian bacon as well and it's rapidly disappearing..I think that means I did it right ;)

Do you plan to cook to a safe IT? Just curious, I just did some Canadian bacon as well and it's rapidly disappearing..I think that means I did it right ;)
Yes I was planning to bring it to 145, should I go higher?

Looking good Saint! The weather sucks! I'm hoping to get a quick tri tip smoke in later on.
Good luck, I wanted to do Korean style ribs tomorrow but I dunno everything is waterlogged and I’m on a mud island with my smoker. Lol

Mike

Mike, now my response to you disappeared....it’s been a weird morning. Anyway, what I said was I planned to do Korean style ribs tomorrow, but now everything is water logged and I’m on a mud island! so I think I’m done after the CB

Yes I was planning to bring it to 145, should I go higher?
Nope; I mean I don't see any reason to do so. 145f is the safe temp. Disco actually just says 140f <and with the carry over I suspect that hits 145f>. I still pan fry mine as a rule of thumb, but that's more because I like the outside crisped up :)

Reactions: 73saint
Nope; I mean I don't see any reason to do so. 145f is the safe temp. Disco actually just says 140f <and with the carry over I suspect that hits 145f>. I still pan fry mine as a rule of thumb, but that's more because I like the outside crisped up :)
Yep, dats my plan!
And here we are, 4 hrs in...
CFED8ECE-2F5B-4BD3-A58D-3A900A9A35F8.jpeg

Looking good. I dont take mine to temp. Just warm smoke for 12 hours

I take mine to 145 . I don't fry it , makes it to dry for me . I just heat it til warm in the nuker .

Forgot to say , looks good .

I just checked the internal it’s in the low 150s. Going to go ahead and pull it when Urlacher is done w his speech.

It's crazy how cheap it can be to make our own isn't it? Apparently Walmart sells a cured loin chunk and it was about 4 dollars a pound and I'm thinking 'I probably make mine for 2 dollars a pound..'

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky