120-flip 120-flip 120-flip 120-flip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wahoowad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Virginia
At 57 I still can't reliably reproduce a perfect steak. The best I've been doing recently is the 120-flip method, starting with a nice thick steak:

sear 120 seconds, then flip
sear 120 seconds, then done

Sometimes I reduce the last 2 flips to cook closer to 90 seconds depending upon how hot a sear I get on the first 2 flips. I still never nail it, just get close enough that I'm satisfied.

For those that follow this method - how close do you stack your coals to the cooking grate surface?

Reactions: Colin1230
We SV them at 125 then sear on the grill or in a cast iron skillet.

Reactions: JLeonard
At 57 I still can't reliably reproduce a perfect steak. The best I've been doing recently is the 120-flip method, starting with a nice thick steak:

sear 120 seconds, then done

Sometimes I reduce the last 2 flips to cook closer to 90 seconds depending upon how hot a sear I get on the first 2 flips. I still never nail it, just get close enough that I'm satisfied.

For those that follow this method - how close do you stack your coals to the cooking grate surface?
I've had good results doing something very similar. Four minutes on each side, turn 45* at two minutes for the cross hatch. The second side may or may not be four minutes. I let an instant read therm tell me when done.

I either SV and then cast iron on the gasser, but more often I put them on high smoke on the pellet smoker to temp then the cast iron. Either way it's ridiculously easy to repeat the results. Now I want steak and it's gonna rain today :emoji_laughing:

When I had my Char-griller , the charcoal grate was adjustable . I used to bring it up right under the cooking grate . I also used red oak burnt down to coals .

I was taught years ago to watch for the juice to " scare " out of the top of the steak , then that was the time to flip . Idea is you don't lose anymore moisture that possible . Since the first side is seared the moisture now stays in the steak after flipping .

I'm not stating this as fact , just how an old timer taught me .

I think your constant flipping method is based on the same principle . I've seen it done with burgers too , and people swear buy it .
I usually get as close to the coals as possible , flip once and use my finger to poke test for doneness .

My method is very similar and works well. Jenn Air gasser with 1500F sear burner:
90s flip 75s flip 60s flip 45s pull med
75s flip 60s flip 30s flip 15s pull med rare
Run wifes first but eventually all get parked in the oven set at 170F for 2-3 beers LOL

20220424_183010_resized_2.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky