“Neutral” Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

d-usa

Original poster
Jun 16, 2019
Oklahoma City
Im having fun exploring the many uses of the new pellet grill, and I’m hoping to give it a try with making some bread or pizzas (and maybe even cakes down the line). So I was wondering if there are “neutral” flavor pellets out there and what people’s experiences with them might have been.

Some smoke on pizza might be fun, but I don’t know if breads need a lot of smoke. So that has me thinking if there are pellets more for heat and less for smoke? Or would the limited amount of time for bread be enough to keep most of the smoke flavor out of the bread?

At temperature that pizza and bread are made, there will be virtually no smoke flavor regardless of the pellets you use. But if you're really looking for mild smoke flavor at low temps, try alder.

I made a cake and cant tell you there was much smoke flavor by the time I iced it, apple wood is a very mild flavor, the higher the temp the less smoke you will have, I used hickory so don't worry much about the flavor, set the temp and throw it in there

Yeah, pizza would be sitting right at 500. And the breads I make would start out there as well and then drop to 450.

At temperature that pizza and bread are made, there will be virtually no smoke flavor regardless of the pellets you use. But if you're really looking for mild smoke flavor at low temps, try alder.
This. My Rec Tec barely puts out smoke above 325 or so. Apple, and cherry are pretty mild pellets as well.

Apple is mild, but expensive - I would not waste it on a high temp cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky