Need Some Emergency Game Time Advice

Discussion in 'Pork' started by endo129, Feb 7, 2016.

  1. endo129

    endo129 Fire Starter

    This is my 4th or 5th Butt I've done with this same method. this is the Second on my SV24.

    I put a 5.78 lb butt on around 8:30 this morning. Been holding the smoker between 220 and 235. After the first 2 hours I've been glazing every 45 minutes. I had a couple Pheasants on too that I took off around 2:00. My butt has been IT around 145 - 148 ever since (so, 3 hours). This seems way too early for the stall doesn't it. Does anyone have any tips on how I can ge this done before the game so I'm not messing with it during? that was my whole goal. I just wrapped it just before 5:00 and have upped the temp in the SV to around 275.

    Please help!

  2. chef jimmyj

    chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

    At the temp you are at, Best case that size Butt will be done between 8 and 9PM tonight, possibly later. You want it done fast? Cut in half, put it in a pan with some of what you baste with, cover and go in a 325°F Oven. The meat will take another hour or so and will be inside where you can check between Beer refills...JJ
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  3. waterinholebrew

    waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    Stalls can definetly last a few hours in some cases.... Make sure your probe isn't stuck by/on the bone & is in the meat... if it is a stubborned butt, foiling was a good call ! 275* is ok, heck you could probably do 300*. There's some folks here that cook their butts 300*+ from start to finish.

    I assume your going for pulled pork ? Anymore I do my PP smokes a day in advance & reheat in the crockpot.... I do this, cause meat has a mind of its own & I've made a pizza run before on nights we were supposed to have PP sammies !
  4. endo129

    endo129 Fire Starter

    Thanks guys for taking the time to reply. Just getting some feed back from people who know what they are doing makes me feel a ton better.

    My usual method is to smoke a 5ish lb butt for around 6 hours and take it to 170. Let it rest for 30 minutes. I must say that it is very difficult to pull at this temp, but I like consistency of the finished product. I've had great success doing this on my gas grill. I smoke for 2 hours, then start glazing every 45 minutes after that until it's done. I thought by throwing this one on at 8:30 I'd be good to go by game time, maybe even take it to 190.

    As stated I pulled the pheasants around 2:00 and cleaned my probe and stuck it in the butt. It was reading 145 I think at that time. When I posted this 3 hours later it was at 148ish. I thought that was too low for the stall, is it?

    I got fed up and wrapped, and cranked the heat. I'm glad you mentioned that 300 was doable, b/c the smoker got to 299 and held (wish I could hold at 225 that steady!). I just let it go and it blew through 150s, 160s and 170s. By the end of the 1st Qtr it was at 190. By this time, I'd eaten so much other food I didn't even want any, but had to stuff some down anyway.

    The result was as expected. Not much bark, but a there was a little  little and damn tasty. The rest of it was too moist, kind of had that, been actually cooked in a crock pot it water all day taste. But, it'll make us some dinner the rest of the week (the 2 and 3 year old still loved it) and I can bandaid it with the BBQ sauce i made yesterday too.

    Thanks again guys! I appreciate you taking the time to help!

Share This Page