First Butt

Discussion in 'Pork' started by pcpro215, Jul 5, 2013.

  1. Well, I got up at 4:45 this am to get my butt ready for about 5:30 or so.  I had it in my stand-up Brinkmann for around 6 hrs.  At which point I couldn't get the temp over 200 anymore (tried dumping ash and adding fresh charcoal and it didn't work).  So, I transferred it to my Weber.   Will post the final result later...

    This is my first pic after about 4 hrs.

    And after about 7 hrs.

  2. finsfree

    finsfree Smoke Blower

    Looks pretty good. What's the internal temp on it?
  3. As of right now, about 9.5 hrs in, it's about 190-195. Gettin close![​IMG]
  4. finsfree

    finsfree Smoke Blower

    After 11.5 hrs I finally hit an internal temp of 195 degrees.
  5. pgsmoker64

    pgsmoker64 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

    Just about there!

    You gonna show us some shots of the pulled product?  I hope so!!!!

  6. seenred

    seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

    Looking good so far...Waiting to see some deliciuos pulled pork!  [​IMG]

  7. This is my final result.  I think the fire on my grill was too hot and burned off my brown sugar. [​IMG]

    On the positive side however, the bone came right out with a simple twist and I was able to pull the meat apart with my fingers.  The meat was still moist on the inside, I just lost most of my precious bark. [​IMG]

    Here it is after removing the foil:

    And after I pulled it:

    A few questions, tho:

    1.  I stopped making smoke after 6 hrs.  As I can hardly taste the smoke in the meat, should I have kept it going the entire time?

    2. What does everyone else do when you can't raise the temp of the smoker past 200*?  

    I currently have a Brinkmann charcoal upright, single door smoker.  It works great for ribs, but after about 6 hrs of smoke time, I have a super hard time maintaining 250*.  I tried to empty out the ash and put in fresh coals, but it didn't work.  Maybe I just need some more patience when I make out the coal swap, as I only waited about 20 mins before moving it to the Weber.

Share This Page