Catering questions from newbee

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by javie4, Oct 13, 2015.

  1. I am building a trailer with dual smokers and a large grill santa maris style.

    I want to park it on the street and start selling SMOKED ribs and briskets and pulled pork sandwich. Kinf of like the food truck.

    What do I need to start? Do I need a license or permit?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Javier M

    [ATTACHMENT=2378]20150925_180956.jpg (802k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
  2. chef jimmyj

    chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

    Welcome...Nice looking rig. This info varies by State. Basically you need a Biz License, Tax ID, a Million dollar Insurance policy, a Health Inspection, Food Safety Certification, a separate Commisary/Cooking Facility, some states require you prep and precook food some place separate from the truck you finish and sell from. There are often separate City Permits, Parking Permits and more. Being in Cali, there may be a whole bunch of permits just to run the smoker, the EPA has a big influence when it comes to filling the air with smoke. Some cities restict Food Truck Zoning to certain areas or you pay Rent to a property owner to park the truck. The two sites below are Cali Food Truck Regulations and the Cali Food Truck Association. Both will have specific details on what applies in your local. Good Luck. If it was easy and cheap there are some 100,000 guys at SMF that would be selling Great Q from their front porch...I know I would...[​IMG]...JJ food truck regulations food truck association
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015

Share This Page