Safety question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cowgirl-Angel72

Original poster
Dec 16, 2022
Good Morning!

I’m in the process of building a 4x4 smokehouse. I was given a double pane glass door with a metal frame. It’s from a MCC building.

Would this door be safe to use on my smokehouse???

Another thing….what size fire pit would I need for my smokehouse???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

You will loose a large amount of heat.
My old smokehouse I built when we lived in PA. 4x4x8' I had a Traeger pellet hopper burner for my heat and smoke source. Top vent should be with a damper to control heat inside smoker. A baffle should be used above any heat source.

You need vents for draw and smoke exit.

mysmh6.jpg

Need a little more information. Remote or local fire pit? What type of fuel will you be using? What temps are you trying to achieve? The glass door would be a nice feature but I guess it would depend on your environment and how well insulated the rest of the smoke house is.

Need a little more information. Remote or local fire pit? What type of fuel will you be using? What temps are you trying to achieve? The glass door would be a nice feature but I guess it would depend on your environment and how well insulated the rest of the smoke house is.
I agree with this. Need more details and environmental conditions the smokehouse will be in. My gut tells me that a full size glass door will cause more problems than it will solve, but it potentially could be workable.

Nice thought to have a clear door, but it will be smoke glazed over in a few hours.
Good panel of smoke house pros have responded (not me)

I'll assume you are trying to build a fire inside, or underneath it? Not using electric or propane. I would suggest a fire outside and piped in somehow. I also agree with fueling Around. That glass will get black with a real fire as the smokehouse is just a chimney with food in it. There is a reason all wood stoves were black! The inside of my smokehouse is so black photos don't turn out unless the sun is shining it.

Here is what I have and did. I went cheap and would not recommend the black pipe. Been replaced once at 4 years and soon again. I plan to rebuild the fire box to a stacked double vaulted oven. Bottom for the smoker and top as an oven. Then do clay pipe inside of brick to the smokehouse.

Good Morning!

I’m in the process of building a 4x4 smokehouse. I was given a double pane glass door with a metal frame. It’s from a MCC building.

Would this door be safe to use on my smokehouse???

Another thing….what size fire pit would I need for my smokehouse???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
What kind of fuel are you planning to use for your fire pit?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky