Retractable Awnings Hail

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
City regulations are prohibiting me from any kind of carport. Don't have the room from property line. Even a portable one in front of garage is a no. We get hail a lot around here. Few miles north of us they had 4" hail couple days ago. Granted not much would of helped with that! I am thinking I could get away with one of those Retractable Awnings over garage door. My garage is very narrow and truck wont go inside. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Hoping they would handle up to 2" hail. The bed would still stick out but should be able to get hood and cab under it?

Reactions: JLeonard
Awnings and wind are not a good combination.

Garage door extension, would maybe need custom door ?

Last edited:
I've seen covers that have a bladder in them that gets pumped up . Only about an inch . I guess if you have the time before the hail hits it might help . It's like a car cover . Comes with a foot pump .

Reactions: jcam222
I had a Sunsetter retractable awning (20 footer), and although I did not live in an area that was considered windy, a sudden gust would lift it enough to sound like someone hit the side of the house. One time one of the legs was bent by a gust, you certainly would not want to forget that it was extended and leave the house.
For this reason, I would not have another one, but it might work for you

I think Winterrider has come up with a great solution, it would not be cheap but it might be cheaper than a permanent insurance rate hike after a claim.

Sounds like it not going to work. Around here its not if but when hail hits. A friend's Ford got hit and I guess the aluminum harder to fix. They had to cut the top off the cab and replace hood and fender. I have always had older cars I did not worry about but I love this truck.

Wind might tear it away before the hail hits

What is the issue with a portable one that you forget to take down

Awnings and wind are not a good combination.

Garage door extension, would maybe need custom door ?

I've seen covers that have a bladder in them that gets pumped up . Only about an inch . I guess if you have the time before the hail hits it might help . It's like a car cover . Comes with a foot pump .

I had a Sunsetter retractable awning (20 footer), and although I did not live in an area that was considered windy, a sudden gust would lift it enough to sound like someone hit the side of the house. One time one of the legs was bent by a gust, you certainly would not want to forget that it was extended and leave the house.
For this reason, I would not have another one, but it might work for you

I think Winterrider has come up with a great solution, it would not be cheap but it might be cheaper than a permanent insurance rate hike after a claim.

Worst case solution, maybe you could use 3" foam pads(or something similar) to cover the cab and front end of the truck. Tie It down tight with a couple of ratchet straps.

Chris

Sorry bud hope all is well tomorrow. I feel your pain. We have a brand new truck and have been in storm land last couple days. Luckily I have cover to put mine in. However yesterday Emily drove through a flood up to the doors and sent me the video………..I wasn’t impressed lol

Feel sorry for anyone that has been, or is in the path of destruction lately. Ma nature is furious last few weeks. Stay safe everyone, material things can be replaced.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
This was about 2 miles from my house a couple of weeks ago. It hailed at the house, but not the big stuff. Parts of the town look like a tornado went through. Cars, roofs, vinyl siding - all just demolished. I was glad I was out of town that day.

1715307094095.png

City regulations are prohibiting me from any kind of carport. Don't have the room from property line. Even a portable one in front of garage is a no. We get hail a lot around here. Few miles north of us they had 4" hail couple days ago. Granted not much would of helped with that! I am thinking I could get away with one of those Retractable Awnings over garage door. My garage is very narrow and truck wont go inside. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Hoping they would handle up to 2" hail. The bed would still stick out but should be able to get hood and cab under it?
You would need to find a way to tie it down. But still I think the wind would end up destroying it the first time you used it.

I have one off the back of my garage we bought off amazon (advaning). Its actually pretty nice for the money, and easy to install, powered and everything. But when the wind starts to blow, I retract it, as I can tell it wont take much to ruin it. The thing is you can touch everything and it feels solid as heck, but even when its out only a couple feet and the wind blows its such a big sail I don't trust it.

I should see if they have a wind sensor add on...I know the marygrove ones do, but that was going to be triple the price or more. This one is also electric.

Even a portable one in front of garage is a no.

I didn't think you needed permssion for a portable one as long as it's not anchored to the concrete... At least here in Fl. ya don't... Just tie it down with temporary anchors...

I would put one up and play dumb saying you didn't know... What's the worst can happen... They tell you to take it down ?

Reactions: jcam222
I didn't think you needed permssion for a portable one as long as it's not anchored to the concrete... At least here in Fl. ya don't... Just tie it down with temporary anchors...

I would put one up and play dumb saying you didn't know... What's the worst can happen... They tell you to take it down ?
They told me if it over 10x10 or 100 sq feet it consider permanent. I guess that would cover the cab and hood. City has someone that drives around looking for things to give out tickets. They even give a ticket for putting bulk trash out few days early. Only one bad dent on hood that I am seeing and windshield needs to be replaced. Several on bed cover but that no big deal. Will have to get it washed to see better.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JLeonard
As an RVer, not much will destroy an awning faster than wind & hail as others have said. Plus, those buggers ain’t cheap.
One thought: my truck won’t fit in the garage either, but I put a mess of bigol honkin screw hooks along the fence cap of the fence next to the driveway, facing up. When storms are imminent I snug the truck up next to the fence, spread an old quilt over the roof & hood and attach a tarp to the screw hooks, stretch the tarp over and secure with ropes under the truck, using every eyelet available. Then I string bungees or rope over the top of the tarp (using the same screw hooks and anchors underneath) to keep the tarp from ballooning. Knock on head, worked so far but I have replaced a tarp or three.
I’m thinking you might attach some screw hooks to your garage to do something similar? The only trick is tying the tarp tight enough for the winds. Just a thought.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
I guess I should feel lucky my wife refused to move to Texas, and I refuse to live in the city!

We get hail in Central VA, but it's rare, especially the big stuff.

I feel ya on the truck though. My truck is 17 years old and our Toyota van (a tank by most mechanic's opinion) is 20. I have a wife who loves her van and doesn't even want a new one, especially with all the technology. Both vehicles are far more valuable to us than any insurance claim would pay. Haven't had a vehicle payment in years. Keeps insurance and taxes down too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky