Chopped Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Pulled out a 9# sirloin tip roast from the freezer last week to make room for my 60# share of the 284# of cajun smoke sausage I made. Put that in the refrigerator to thaw slowly. Well it was good to go friday night, so in the smokehouse early Saturday morning. I split the roast in half (more bark, faster cooking time). Used 0.75% sea salt and 0.4% coarse cracked black pepper. Got the chamber up to 225*F and put the roasts in. Using white oak chunks for smoke. This is 4 hours in....
IMG_20240504_113229.jpg

Took the temp. up to 203*F. Total of 10 hour cooking time. Rolled smoke the entire time. And Done....
IMG_20240504_183153.jpg

Removed from chamber and wrapped in foil for about an hour on the counter covered with a meat tote upside down. Then sliced...you can see the collagen breakdown here...
IMG_20240504_190129.jpg
IMG_20240504_190145.jpg

IMG_20240504_191442.jpg

And chopped...
IMG_20240504_192013.jpg

IMG_20240504_192020.jpg

The sandwich on a toasted bun with Sea salt and cracked black pepper kettle chips....
IMG_20240504_192028.jpg

Really good sandwich. I'm set for lunches this week...

One of my favorites too. Nice job Keith.

Point for sure
Chris

I'll take sliced, with gravy or au jus, maybe a dash of horseradish.
No, I'll take a chopped sandwich with pickled peppers and onions.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
One of my favorites too. Nice job Keith.

Point for sure
Chris

Yup . Looks great .

May I have a bit of provolone melted in with mine ;)

That looks perfect. Nailed that sammich.

Love kettle chips, but that chopped beef is over the top. Nice work, Keith...

That looks Awesome! So simple but I bet it tastes Amazing!

I’ll second this! Man that’s a great looking sammich.

Jim

I'll take sliced, with gravy or au jus, maybe a dash of horseradish.
No, I'll take a chopped sandwich with pickled peppers and onions.

Looks good!
Thanks Guys!

NICE JOB! I would tear that up! I know the slices are all the rage but I much prefer chopped. Truthfully, wish we could talk more about how to achieve a good proper chop. No idea how. Few times I tried, I failed. Cleaver a must?

Pulled out a 9# sirloin tip roast from the freezer last week to make room for my 60# share of the 284# of cajun smoke sausage I made. Put that in the refrigerator to thaw slowly. Well it was good to go friday night, so in the smokehouse early Saturday morning. I split the roast in half (more bark, faster cooking time). Used 0.75% sea salt and 0.4% coarse cracked black pepper. Got the chamber up to 225*F and put the roasts in. Using white oak chunks for smoke. This is 4 hours in....
View attachment 696211

Took the temp. up to 203*F. Total of 10 hour cooking time. Rolled smoke the entire time. And Done....
View attachment 696212

Removed from chamber and wrapped in foil for about an hour on the counter covered with a meat tote upside down. Then sliced...you can see the collagen breakdown here...
View attachment 696213View attachment 696214
View attachment 696215

And chopped...
View attachment 696216
View attachment 696217
The sandwich on a toasted bun with Sea salt and cracked black pepper kettle chips....
View attachment 696218

Really good sandwich. I'm set for lunches this week...
Keith, Great looking Chopped beef! That will make for a great week of lunches.

- Jason

NICE JOB! I would tear that up! I know the slices are all the rage but I much prefer chopped. Truthfully, wish we could talk more about how to achieve a good proper chop. No idea how. Few times I tried, I failed. Cleaver a must?
I used a 14" chefs knife. It is all about technique when chopping. I learned from watching the guys behind the counter at Bodacious BBQ in Texas off I-20....

Reactions: zwiller
Looks great Keith,

Love the chopped beef sandwich, But like Steve edmonds edmonds said , I could have also filled up on a sliced meat sandwich also. Just saying

David
Thanks David!

Excellent! That sammich looks killer.
Thank you mr_whipple!

Oh man that looks terrific! Love a good chopped beef sandwich! Nicely done!

Red
Thanks Red!

Keith, Great looking Chopped beef! That will make for a great week of lunches.

- Jason
Thank you Jason!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky