Concrete Protection from Rust

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Its_Raw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
Concrete pad is going in this week for my smoker, gas grill, etc. I posted another question on this forum about the use of a rubber type mat under the smoker, but my concrete contractor recommended not using one. In his experience, he has seen some mats (unknown material other than “rubber”) adhere to the stamped concrete and pop the top layer off as the mat tends to stick to the surface after time.

So, I am looking for an alternative for protecting the concrete from rust stains off of the metal wheels on the smoker. Do any of you have any experience in using another material (wood, etc.) to keep the wheels off of the concrete and limit the rust stains?

Thank you!

Reactions: millerbuilds
I never heard of that, but then what do I know. Haha

I have an oil drip pan I got from an auto parts store under my CampChef.
20240509_081646.jpg

Sherwin and PPG both have excellent products in their industrial lines. If memory serves me correctly Sherwin's Armorseal line of products has a clear 2 part epoxy.

Reactions: indaswamp
Another idea since you are just concerned about the wheels.
How about plastic lids they sell for gallon paint cans or something similar?
Lots of options here --> Lids

The recommendation was to not use a rubber mat.

I am not sure non-metal wheels are an option due to the weight of the smoker - at least without spending a decent amount of money for industrial wheels.

Why-you-put-a-rubber-mat-on-Sealed-Concrete.jpg

Above is an internet pic of sealed concrete that had rubber mats sitting on them.

Reactions: JLeonard
The recommendation was to not use a rubber mat.
That's a legit concern . The rubber breaks down and sticks to the concrete . I've never seen it pop the top layer , but it discolors bad and leaves rubber stuck to the surface .

Any sealer you do needs to be done after the concrete cures . That can take up to a year .

Concrete pad is going in this week for my smoker, gas grill, etc. I posted another question on this forum about the use of a rubber type mat under the smoker, but my concrete contractor recommended not using one. In his experience, he has seen some mats (unknown material other than “rubber”) adhere to the stamped concrete and pop the top layer off as the mat tends to stick to the surface after time.

So, I am looking for an alternative for protecting the concrete from rust stains off of the metal wheels on the smoker. Do any of you have any experience in using another material (wood, etc.) to keep the wheels off of the concrete and limit the rust stains?

Thank you!
Hello! In addition to being an expert in, ‘water repo’, I used to be a concrete finisher. Freshly poured concrete takes around 30 days to cure. So, I would hold up on putting anything (mat, plywood..etc) on that concrete.
Once, the concrete has been poured, wait a day, (the day after, in the morning) and use an acrylic concrete cure and sealer. It can be rolled on or sprayed on.

Banjo man out.

I mention up to a year before sealing because it depends on weather conditions and how wet the mix was. 30 days is the minimum .

Would some cardboard “coasters” under each wheel be OK for the concrete until a longer term solution can be found?

You might look up a product named "Diamond Hard" Concrete Sealer and see what it might do for you. I have had it on my hangar floors for 12-14 years and have been very pleased with it. It is not a coating, it does a chemical reaction with the surface of the concrete. Oils or tire marks do not soak into it. I have not had any experience with rust, but I would suspect it might do the same. Good luck to you.

Would some cardboard “coasters” under each wheel be OK for the concrete until a longer term solution can be found?
Swing by Lowes or Home Depot . Look in the hardware isle for furniture movers . Hard plastic discs that go under legs of furniture and lets you slide it without lifting . Should have some big enough to fit under your wheels , and they won't break down or stick .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky