Combo Grill suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ihocky2

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Lehigh Valley, Pa.
My gas grill is on it's last legs and not worth replacing parts anymore. Years ago I had a Masterbuilt charcoal grill with a crank adjustable tray that lasted a really long time and I love the flavor of the charcoal cooked food. It had a nice large cook surface that was great on night cooking for more than 2 people.

Fast forward to today when I have 2 busy kids and don't have the time to start a chimney full of charcoal, the gas grill saves a lot of time. But I miss the charcoal flavor. The split units with one side charcoal and one gas a nice for a few brats, burgers, or steaks. But there are nights that I have the surface full of shish-kabobs or one side with veggies and the other meat, or any other combo I feel like. The split units don't have a large enough cook surface.

I saw one from Charbroil that you can add a charcoal tray to get the flavor but is a gas grill. That one intrigues me, but it seems like I could just toss in the A-Maze-N Smoker while running the gas and get something similar.

Any ideas of options out there for a gas grill that I can grill with charcoal too? Is there something like an offset with charcoal for smoking but has gas burners?

Reactions: JLeonard
I honestly think the best solution for you is a good pellet grill. You get the convenience of a gas grill with smoke from the pellets. A quality pellet grill like Yoder or Rec Teq give a fair amount of smoke flavor without adding a smoke tube. You can always add one for more.

Reactions: JLinza and JLeonard
Masterbuilt gravity series could be an option, although you would eliminate gas. But does have that good charcoal flavor.It does heat up quick, so not super time consuming. But I'll be honest, I never use mine as a grill. I never take mine much past 300. Maybe someone that's used the GS at high temps can say more on that. But might be worth a Google as you weigh your options. Good luck & let us know what you get.

As jcam222 jcam222 said, a pellet grill is a good option. Gives you the option of doing overnight cooks also.
If you want to stick with gas, Grilla Grills Primate has a large cooking surface, 4 burners, and comes with a griddle.

As always, what you get depends on budget...

Masterbuilt gravity series could be an option, although you would eliminate gas. But does have that good charcoal flavor.It does heat up quick, so not super time consuming. But I'll be honest, I never use mine as a grill. I never take mine much past 300. Maybe someone that's used the GS at high temps can say more on that. But might be worth a Google as you weigh your options. Good luck & let us know what you get.
Excellent option too. I was originally gonna not to suggest that but wasn't sure if he wanted to mess with lighting it. I'd take it over pellet albeit slightly less hands off

Excellent option too. I was originally gonna not to suggest that but wasn't sure if he wanted to mess with lighting it. I'd take it over pellet albeit slightly less hands off
For sure, there are a few more steps to getting it fired up. Figured I'd try to cover all bases for him.

Reactions: jcam222
I've looked at pellet grills and am not entirely opposed to them, but at least the Traegers and Pit Boss's I've look at all have the metal sliding damper system which seems like something more I have to worry about cleaning. I want to keep it fairly simple.

I did find one from Char-Grill and one from Charbroil that both are gas with either a tray or a drawer that can run charcoal, lumps, or logs in addition to the gas. I have to find one in store, but that sounds very promising.

I've looked at pellet grills and am not entirely opposed to them, but at least the Traegers and Pit Boss's I've look at all have the metal sliding damper system which seems like something more I have to worry about cleaning. I want to keep it fairly simple.

I did find one from Char-Grill and one from Charbroil that both are gas with either a tray or a drawer that can run charcoal, lumps, or logs in addition to the gas. I have to find one in store, but that sounds very promising.
Have you looked at the Masterbuilt Gravity series? Chute is filled with charcoal and a few wood chunks if desired. Put a starter in the bottom and light it, turn to your desired temp and within minutes start cooking. Temp range is phenomenal as well. It's set and forget convenience with really charcoal and wood results.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky