WSM Temps too High?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swy19

Original poster
Mar 2, 2017
Morning all,

Have a pork butt going right now, and having some issues with temp management, specifically with it being too high.

I don't get it at all, as I have the BBQ Guru (fan control), which is attached to one hole on one of the dampers. The other two have tape over them, and the other two dampers are completely closed.

It's a cold day in DC, I threw some water in the pan, but I'm still getting into the 300+ degree temps. I've had some issues with this before, but never this bad.

Any ideas? If there isn't any oxygen getting into it, how is it still getting so high?

Could air be getting through the charcoal resupply door?

Are you using the lid therm? If yes then that could be the culprit. Try using another therm to compare.

Chris

Are you using the lid therm? If yes then that could be the culprit. Try using another therm to compare.

Chris

No, I have a dual wireless probe inside and the party Q BBQ guru also measures temp.

If you have thin blue smoke, or invisible smoke, and only if you have those smokes (not white or grey) close down your top vent to about 1/4" open. It will reduce the air flow through your WSM and chamber temps will start dropping in 5-10 minutes. Once your back in the ballpark of where you want to be, start opening your top vent back up in small increments.

I've had issues in the past where the Guru overstoked the hot coals, especially using KBB charcoal. I'm using RO Ridge briquette charcoal now and my Guru is basically obsolete. I'll still use my top vent, but only if I've done everything I can with the lower vents and I have well established thin blue or invisible smoke.

I use standard Kingsford charcoal. I don't think the guru is at fault, as the fan is off the entire time.

I will try the top vent in the future. Have always read never to touch it but I'll give that a go.

I mean if it's getting too hot, and the fan isn't going, air has to be getting in there somehow? Could it be thru the small gaps in the charcoal door? Maybe I'll buy a new one?

Frustrating!

Don't touch the top vent unless your absolutely sure your burning clean. Thin blue or no smoke. Can you see leaks? You may want to fire up your smoker and burn just wood and coals to see where it's leaking. You haven't mentioned how old your smoker is or if it's fully seasoned yet. Seasoning will help fill some of the small gaps(especially around the lid).

Chris

Also some people put a gasket between the body and the base.
You can't see any leakage at the base and body by looking for smoke.. only above the charcoal will you see smoke leak.

Kinda sounds like you have some leaks somewhere. Could be the aluminum door, an out of round body or lid. Another possibility could be starting off with too many lit coals... but I would still kinda think the Guru could pull you back under 300*.

How long does it take to shut down when you’re done. Mine is less than 45 minutes. I have a little leak around my door but not bad enough to do anything about it other than bending it to get a better seal. My lid was out of round when I got mine. I just kinda hugged it till I got it round again. Is all your charcoal always spent after every smoke or do you have some unused. If it’s all used after every smoke and it takes along time to shut it down your smoker has some leaks.

Or it could also be the smoker is new and you just need to use it more and it’ll seal itself up. Some new 22” WSM can run pretty hot for a while.

Thanks guys, these last few tips are useful.

My smoker is about 3 years old, so it is definitely seasoned.

BUT, after I take the meat off, it stays hot for hours usually, certainly until all the coals are burned through (although, I usually do not cover that last hole where the Guru adapter is).

I'm thinking there is a leak, and it might be due to the charcoal door. It's old and the hinge hardly works anymore, so I may just buy a new one on Amazon, shape it nicely so it sits flush, and try again.

I can't imagine there are any other leaks, so if this isn't the issue, I'm lost again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky