Wood inside WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What a clever guy. Is that enough to get you started, how long? My only fear on the splits is the amount of smoke, I sometimes get too much before it calms down to a nice blue with just chunks.....

The line I highlighted in bold caught my attention. Like I said in my above post, it can take up to 90 minutes before the smoke settles down and blue hints appear, whether you are using chunks or logs. 45-75 minutes is pretty much average wait time.

There's a side-light method that dirtsailor2003 (aka Case) uses to light his WSMs. The big advantage of it is that it starts the fire with an intense heat and basically pre-heats the charcoal and wood as it migrates through the fuel. I haven't tried it, but Case swears by it. Here's the link.

http://smokingmeatforums.com/index.php?threads/side-light-method-for-charcoal-smokers.257071/

Would any of you recommend using chips in a WSM?
It's one of the only flavoured woods I can get my hands on, and wondering how to use chips in a WSM without it being too over the top and just pumping white smoke out non stop...

Chips will burn quickly in a WSM. You can use them, but you'll have to use an awe-full lot of them.

Chris

I've read that soaking the chips in hot water, then wrapping them in foil and poking some holes in the top, and putting on top of the coals works.
Any thoughts on this?
Pros vs cons...

I've decided that I need to play around with our local woods and do some tests. As in the long run, this will be easier and more fun to use local woods either way :)

Soaking the chips just delays the actual smoking process in my opinion. Your basically drying out the chip(the steam) before the smouldering starts. Wrapping in tin-foil may work. If your setting it directly on the coals I can see where it will also burn quickly. I'm not sure where you live, but chunks are usually available in grocery, hardware and anyplace else that may sell BBQ equipment.

Chris

Ya that's the problem. As crazy as South Africa is about braaing (what we call BBQing) there is pretty much no smoking culture. So you'll be lucky to even find chips. never seen chunks in my life. I've looked hard, trust me.
Open grill cooking is how we do it here.

I'm trying smoking though!

Ya that's the problem. As crazy as South Africa is about braaing (what we call BBQing) there is pretty much no smoking culture. So you'll be lucky to even find chips. never seen chunks in my life. I've looked hard, trust me.
Open grill cooking is how we do it here.

I'm trying smoking though!
Bruce,maybe contact your local tree service/tree surgeon.They typically know a lot about different species of trees and might be a good resource for procuring logs/chunks.

Reactions: brucehere
Bruce,maybe contact your local tree service/tree surgeon.They typically know a lot about different species of trees and might be a good resource for procuring logs/chunks.
Good tip! And it paid off! Going to collect a freshly felled Mulberry tree on Friday! These are rare in these parts.
Going to start a new thread with some questions about wood seasoning :)

Dang! Glad you scored man,Mulberry is good stuff! Cut/split to preferred size and get it seasoning.That's the way I do it because there's more surface area and dries faster/better when smaller.You can also bake it in your oven...no sauce! :D

Bill

Dang! Glad you scored man,Mulberry is good stuff! Cut/split to preferred size and get it seasoning.That's the way I do it because there's more surface area and dries faster/better when smaller.You can also bake it in your oven...no sauce! :D

Bill
Ok cool. thanks for the advice!

Quick Question - I have the identical setup as you however, I put my coffee can in the middle and then fill it with hot burning charcoal from my chimney then pull the can and it burns from the inside of the ring to the outside of the ring. I cannot remember what "method" that is.... Do you find there is a difference or advantage from doing it the way in your picture from one end where it will burn from one side to the other or from the way I described ? ?

Thanks,
Tony

Quick Question - I have the identical setup as you however, I put my coffee can in the middle and then fill it with hot burning charcoal from my chimney then pull the can and it burns from the inside of the ring to the outside of the ring. I cannot remember what "method" that is.... Do you find there is a difference or advantage from doing it the way in your picture from one end where it will burn from one side to the other or from the way I described ? ?

Thanks,
Tony

I do it that way too sometimes, they are both the minnion method. I use your setup in the winter when it's colder at night because the fire will burn a little hotter. Putting the can on the side keeps a smaller fire going, so in the summer when I want to do an all night smoke I put it on the side & set my Guru to 210 degrees & it will pretty much stay there all night.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky