Using inlet pipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ammaturesmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I have seen kits online for inlet pipes.....this seems to me like a way over the top price for what looks like general hardware store stuff. However. Know looks can be deceiving. If I choose to go at this from hardware store, what pipes, couplers, and flanges am I looking for?

3 each 3/4" black pipe nipples x 2" long...  2 - 3/4" pipe caps.....   6 each conduit nuts ... to secure the pipe nipples.....

1 each 3/4" ball valve...  full flow preferably....    Step drill 1" capable.....   

The pipe is 1.05 OD...  it will partially screw into a 1" hole... and should be tight.. one nut goes on the pipe first... then screw it in tight and follow up with the other nut on the inside of the drum....   put the ball valve on one of the nipples first then the nut then screw it in....

The way the inlets works is.....   start the charcoal with the ball valve wide open... and the other nipples, caps OFF....   as the UDS gets up to temp, screw on one cap....  doesn't have to be tight...   then the 2nd cap...  check the temp...  close the ball valve to about 1/2 open and wait for at least 15 minutes for the temp to stabilize...   adjust ball valve.... wait.....   if the ball valve won't keep the temp high enough, remove 1 cap and readjust the ball valve....

Do all this with the lid on and clamped...  the lid must be air tight...   1   -2" pipe in the bung is usually enough exhaust....   You can drill 1" holes in the lid and screw in 3/4" street ells for the exhaust...  probably 4-6 will do.....   

Reactions: brentranome
Dave,

Great plans for the inlets. I plan on using this for my next build. Seeing that a small portion of black pipe will be inside and somewhat near the fire basket, is black pipe safe at higher heat compared to galvanized? I know galvanized is a no no for anything food related. Just wanted to make sure black pipe is safe.

Would black pipe be safe even if it did get hot say 350-400°? Also, there is a company that sells brand new un-lines drums near me for $55 which I plan on buying. Do i need to remove the outside paint by burning it off/wire wheel and paint with high temp paint or is it safe to leave on?

After the "break in" of your drum, 450 for several hours, everything will be "food" safe because of sterilization.. then check the outside paint..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky