Suggestions For Christmas Gift

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cowbell76751

Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
My boyfriend has used a weber charcoal grill for 10+ years and loves charcoal. I would like to get a weber smokey mountain 18" for him for Christmas. My family thinks it might be too involved or take too much time. They think propane would be better. Do you have to constantly feed it ? How many hours at a time can it go? Can you do rotisserie with an 18" or just the 22"? Prmarily it's jst the 2 of us but would like to do things for big gatherings as well. We have an orchard and was planning on using wood from that. Will that work?

I am very intimidated by grilling so he does it all and I don't know much about it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cowbell,if he loves charcoal go charcoal.

No constant feeding,burn time with quality charcoal is up to 18- 20 Hrs
Cajun Bandit makes a rotisserie for it
It is a good size to feed 2 to a whole lot of people - 2 10LB pork butts will feed pulled pork sandwiches to an army
Fruit wood is great for smoking

The Char-Griller Akorn is worth a look too and probably in your price range

Last edited:
I have a 22.5 WSM and love it. So easy to use and burns for a long time. He could use dried chunks of wood from your orchard to give the smoke a nice flavor. This is a great place to send him to get any kind of help he needs.

WSM would be an awesome gift . I'm guessing you know him better than the rest of your family . I have the 14.5 ,, it's just a whole lot of fun . My wife bought me a Weber performer with all the bells and whistles back in 2007 . Total surprise gift . Use it all the time , I'll never get rid of it .

One addition...You have an Orchard. Propane runs out, usually at the worst time, but Wood won't be an issue and FREE!...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky