Southern Pride DH65 - Smoking Sausage

Discussion in 'For New Members' started by Andy Biro, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Andy Biro

Andy Biro Newbie

New Member with a DH65 for home use. I want to smoke sausage links in the 65. How would I go about it. Tie sausages to the top rack and let hang, cook with two stages. First dry heat at 130 degrees for 1 hours then 150 degrees with smoke and steam for 2.5 hours. When finished, cut off smoker, leave door open for sausage to get some color and dry out.

Is that a good plan?

2. PerazziMx14

PerazziMx14 Fire Starter

What sausage are you making?

Generally for summer sausage my method is:

Hang the cured and cased meat chubs in front of a box fan for 1 hour to dry out the surface while the smoker heats to 120*. Then I hang the meat in the smoker for 1 hour at 120 degrees and no smoke. After that I bump the temp 10* every hour or so until the smoker is at 170*. Add wood/chips as needed to keep smoke going until the meat reach a 152 to 155* internal.

After they reach temp and depending on how I want the casings dump in an ice bath (for smooth casing) until meat gets below 100* or if I want the shriveled look open the door of the smoker and place a box fan in front of it on low for about an hour. Then hang at room temp for a couple hours or overnight (if the garage will be in the 50's) to bloom before refrigerating.

Like BBQ'ing the meat is done when it reaches a proper internal temp not when a clock tells you.

3. Andy Biro

Andy Biro Newbie

This my first try. I am doing 25 lbs of Smoked Sausages with the Leggs Smoked Sausage seasoning and the sheep casings. Your info above will be most helpful. Will start working on it tomorrow. Thanks