Sources

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sdkid

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 14, 2015
Pierre, SD
Rather tired of trying to get at anything from Walmart. Too many people for me, or empty shelves. So tell me where do you purchase your spices and other ingredients for smoking?

Checked out the spice House and I think thats my source. Thanks all.

For Rubs i recommend a couple of types (if you don't want to mix yourself). Weber makes some good rubs for cheap and I'm also a fan of their steak seasoning ( Chicago is one of my favs). I also like Butcher BBQ rubs. They have rubs injections and grilling butter etc. You can get them from amazon or their own website. Hope this helps.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I like Jeff’s rubs, and use them almost exclusively. I recently bought some from Pitfaced bbq that are really good as well.

I just bought Jeffs recipes yesterday. The recipe for Apricot glazed chicken prompted this post. No granulated garlic or onion in this town. I used powder instead.

BuyWholeFoodsOnline. I think they are only in the UK though.

For some basics like onion or garlic powder, or red pepper, etc., I've had good luck at dollar stores.

Sometimes I hit a Mexican grocery, they usually have the La Costena line of spices, their granulated garlic is good. Just beware: Always check the bags for fine dusty powder in the bottom, that's a sign of contamination. It can be easy to bring home pantry moths.

If you have an Odd Lots or Big Lots, they can be worth a random check because you never know what they might have. A few years ago when the hot pepper craze was fading, they had a lot of different products with Tabasco in them.

Reactions: sdkid
I am a Costco member and I get my big 4 seasonings there (well not Kosher salt, I get that at a grocery store). The Costco seasonings are great price, good quality and are in BIG sizes.

The big 4 seasonings:
  1. Kirkland Granulated Garlic (Organic if you care about that, it's the only option they have at the store) - 18oz/510g
  2. Kirkland Chopped Onion (also known as dehydrated or minced onion and is Magical to use as a seasoning on meat!!!! They just started adding McCormicks Onion Powder but this chopped onion is too good to swich from) - 11.7oz/332g
  3. Kirkland Course Ground Malabar Black Pepper (is better than most standard stuff, not as good as fresh ground) - 12.7oz/359g
  4. Kirkland Pure Sea Salt (is better than most standard stuff, not as good as kosher) - 30oz/850g
I don't think I pay more than $5-6 for any single bottle and as you can see they come in large amounts.

Other seasonings I get from Costco:
  1. McCormicks Gourmet Ground Cumin - 14oz+
  2. McCormicks Gourmet Smoked Paprika - 8.5oz
  3. Knorr Chicken Bouillon - 35.3oz (huge!)
  4. Better than Bouillon Reduced Sodium Beef Base - 16oz (I would buy Knorr Beef Bouillon but this is the only beef bouillon type product costco carries and it is pretty good)
They have a few other things I occasionally grab like Dehydrated Parsley and such but that is the gist of what I get. I don't really have a use for Turmeric, Hymalayan salt, Saffron, etc. etc. that they offer.

Best of luck!

In this area (Atlanta), there are tons of farmer's markets all over the city, and most (if not all) of them stock a wide variety of spices from all over the world. If you're ever in the Decatur, GA area, the Dekalb Farmers Market is a must-see...

217-072-decatur-cmyk.jpg

Reactions: sdkid
Checked out the spice House and I think thats my source. Thanks all.
After reading this thread , I checked out Spice House . Ordered 2 gift packs for my kids for Christmas . Came yesterday , have to say happy I ordered them . Came packed with whole nutmeg , cinnamon sticks and bay leaves in the boxes around the spice jars . Very happy with them .

Been using a local spice house for a few years now and would highly recommend. Always fresh and consistent product.

Stuart's Spices
https://stuartsspices.com

Sign up for the newsletter and they'll give you a 10% off coupon code. Free shipping after $65 I think if you plan on stocking up.

They produce for several businesses in the area including an old world German deli with fresh sausage and other charcuterie to die for.

They will also produce a custom blend from your recipe with confidentiality assured. Will work up a sample prototype for you to test and then will modify if needed. After that, your blend will be kept on file. Cost is only based on current market price of ingredients.

Reactions: wbf610
In my post above, I was wrong; I was thinking of the Mi Costenita line of dried spices. I would link to them but their home site is on Facebook and I seem to be the only person on the planet who is not a member.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky